everything austen challenge

Monday, June 29, 2009 |

Yeah, so…don’t tell anyone, but I’m a closet Jane Austen junkie. I try not to give off the whole I believe in happily-ever-after with Colin Firth…erm, I mean Mr. Darcy vibe, but I love those books and movies as much as the next person. Note that I wrote “person” in place of “girl” (which was my first inclination) in the last sentence. Jane Austen might be beloved by more women than men as a rule, but my dad liked Pride and Prejudice (the novel), and my brothers will watch the movie adaptations with nary a complaint. That’s evidence enough for me that her writing is universally admired.

But yeah, back to being an Austenite. I own a couple of the original books, several of the film adaptations, and a number of spin-offs or modern works inspired by the world of Austen. I most recently read (and loved!) Shannon Hale’s Austenland. One of my all-time favorite novels is Persuasion. If you haven’t read it yet (and surprisingly few people have: it’s one of her lesser-known books), let me persuade you to pick it up. Or just read it online here.

The fact that Stephanie at The Written Word blog is hosting an Everything Austen Challenge is almost too perfect. The idea is to read or watch six Jane Austen authored or inspired works over six months (July 1, 2009-January 1, 2010). Obviously this challenge is perfect for me. I’m going to resist the urge to list things I’ve already read/seen/own, and branch out into the weird and fun. Additions and reports on my progress through the list to follow.

Books:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith [contest to win a gift bag when you post your review of PPZ HERE]

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange [contest to win a signed copy HERE]

Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard

Films:

Emma (1996)

Becoming Jane (2007)

Lost in Austen (2008), television mini-series


8 comments:

Teddyree said...

Thanks for visiting my blog... Mr Darcy Vampyre caught my eye, I'm off to look it up on Goodreads.

Stephanie said...

I LOVE the movie Emma (and enjoyed Austenland as well)! Thanks for joining!

Ginny Larsen said...

this challenge is AMAZINGLY perfect for you. i mean, like, did they call you up and ask you what you would like to read/ watch?

haha, well, i have a load off my shoulders cause i met the last school deadline (so i'd get paid for august & september), so i'm going to celebrate by making some cards...

love you tons, and hope you enjoyed your nap.

Unknown said...

Good luck for the challenge..Becoming Jane is so good.

vvb32 reads said...

glad to see you joined! i'm listening to the soundtrack of Becoming Jane - loved the movie and james mcavoy!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

You're in the closet no longer.
Have you seen "Jane Austen Book Club?" It's quite good and is more about people reading the books and semi-living them in a modern way. Note I said "people" as well, because one of the readers in the club is a male. :)

Nicole said...

I sooooo can't wait for Mr. Darcy, Vampyre!! I just know it's going to be fantastic -- it has to be!

Marie said...

ooo... what is that Mr Darcy Vampyre one... interesting!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home