in the mood for a little gothic parody?

Monday, October 12, 2009 |
For my latest Everything Austen challenge item, I watched Northanger Abbey, a 2007 made-for-television film.

A chance invite to the country home of a family friend results in the blossoming romance between hyperimaginative, romance fanatic Catherine Morland (Felicity Jones) and Henry Tilney (JJ Feild), the young master of the estate. Directed by Jon Jones, this charming, made-for-TV adaptation of Jane Austen’s posthumously published gothic parody also stars Carey Mulligan, William Beck and Desmond Barrit.

It’s cute, funny, over-the-top cinematic goodness. Definitely recommended. I have to say I remember thinking that Austen’s Catherine was a bit of a twit, but this film made me reevaluate. Maybe she’s just very young? Anyway, it was silly and fun and the main characters were very well cast. I loved it, though I squirmed and groaned when those same characters ignored the obvious or got it wrong.

The only, ONLY thing that I didn’t like was the final embrace. You’ll see what I mean when you watch it. But again, she’s so young that it almost works! And J.J. Feild, the dude who plays Mr. Tilney? Can act from underneath that hat! Loved him/it/everything.

The movie was the perfect length (at an hour and a half), and I didn’t find myself remembering anything that should have been put in but wasn’t. Am I gushing? Maybe a bit… I’m just glad that this was the last Austen film adaptation on my list. I’m going out on a very positive note. Lost In Austen was on the original challenge post, but I think it’s high time I read some Austen spin-offs. Look for those in the next couple of months, and in the mean time, watch Northanger Abbey! Grade: A.

9 comments:

Lori Johnston said...

This is the only film version of Northanger Abbey I have liked - - I thought it was very well done!

Lisa said...

I didn't know this existed--I'm going to have to head off to look for it!

J.T. Oldfield said...

I'm listening to NA on CD right now for the Everything Austen Challenge. And I have to say, it's HILARIOUS. I may have to watch this after. :)

L said...

This is an excellent version. I loved the main character's fanciful imagination! And the kissing scene in the end, ah, sweet music..

Kim said...

Shoot! I watched this a couple years ago when I read all the JA books and watched the movies, and now I can't remember it. I'll have to watch it again.

When I took that quiz "which JA Heroine are you" it was a toss up between this Catherine and Emma. I guess I was like Catherine when younger and Emma, now that I'm all growed up :)

theduckthief said...

I saw this a few years ago when I was on a JA movie binge. I love JJ Feild! He is adorable, especially during the dancing scenes.

Rhiannon Hart said...

Aw, this is my favourite Austen and I haven't seen this version. The BBC one was lovely, but not twitty enough I thought as the books supposed to be a parody. The Adaptation had a nice romantic end though. I'll look out for this.

Zee said...

This adaptation was what finally got me reading Austen (I dug my heels in because everyone seemed to think I should read her :)). I loved this movie so much that I had to read the book and the rest, is as they say, history. Glad you liked it!

theduckthief said...

I just discovered that a new adaptation of Emma shot this year is airing on BBC, starring Romola Garai. I've only watched part one so far but Mr. Knightly is played by a man familiar to Austen adaptations. He's been in 2 different Mansfield Park miniseries.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home