my dad gets lost in austen

Saturday, October 24, 2009 |
I’m a film-lover. Ideally (in other words, if I had the money) I’d see at least one film a week in the theaters, and a couple more at home. My DAD is a film FREAK, though. It has manifested hard-core since his retirement, and it’s kind of scary, kind of awesome. He has the three-DVDs-at-a-time Netflix plan, but somehow parlays that into 7 or 8 movies a week. Plus whatever he gets at the library. I’ve seen him spend 12 hours straight watching films. And he likes all types of films – action, romance, classic, historical, rated G, rated R…

So it’s not that odd to hear him laughing uproariously from downstairs. Or upstairs. Or wherever.

But the other day…I walked in, and he was watching Lost in Austen.

Alone.

This is one of the Austen-inspired, Regency Era, usually girls night in type of miniseries I’ve heard so much about during the Everything Austen Challenge. I couldn’t get over it. He paused the film. Him: “Do you want to watch it with me?” Me: “No.” Him: “Okay, but it’s really GOOD! Hilarious!” Me: …"Okay, Dad"… (disbelief). The obvious response, once I’d gathered my wits back into my feeble brain? I made him promise to write a ‘two paragraph review.’ I started by saying three paragraphs, but he bargained me down to two. The man used to write for a living, but he’s gotten stingy with the words…

*smile *

So here you have it: Cecelia Bedelia’s Dad reviews Lost in Austen.

Lost in Austen is a must see for Pride and Prejudice lovers. The storyline begins with Amanda, an ardent Austen fan, and her boyfriend in modern England. The plot soon runs amuck when Amanda Price (Jemima Rooper) carrying her well-read paperback copy of Pride and Prejudice, first appears in the Bennett household as a “friend” of Elizabeth’s. Meanwhile Elizabeth is absent and adjusting to life in modern-day London. Would Jane Austen turn over in her grave? That’s one by-line in this hilarious, heart-warming, love story in which the unexpected happens with regularity.

In addition to all the regular characters, we’re introduced to the three brothers of the groveling Mr. Collins. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett are fantastic in their customary roles, with a delightful twist near the end of the film. Does it all work out in the end? You’ll just have to watch this flick with its many delightful twists and turns and turn-backs that keep you guessing until the finale. You must read the book or watch the original Pride and Prejudice to fully enjoy this enhanced tale.

Thanks, Dad!

13 comments:

Lauren said...

I saw this when it was first on TV, but this post has definitely made me want to watch it again. It's really fun, and I *love* Jemima Rooper. Awesome idea too.

Carrie K. said...

I loved Lost in Austen - and I think it's fantastic that your dad watched - and liked - it!

Kals said...

It's awesome that your Dad watched it and liked it - I loved it! I wish my Dad would do something like that too. LOL!

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Hahahahaha!!! Awesome! My dad just scoffs at me and my chick flicks! This has been my favorite movie so far this year it's really good and it IS funny! Thank you Dad for sharing ;-)

xoxo~ Renee

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

This is awesome! I'm glad he enjoyed it. Lost in Austen is full of awesome-ness!

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

Haha...that's great. I can't even imagine my dad watching Lost in Austen voluntarily. Thanks for the non-blogger guest interview :)

vvb32 reads said...

ha! love it! you're dad is the best! btw: i'm making your lemon craisin cookies to snack on today during my read-a-thon session ;-D

Justine said...

Aww. Your dad sounds awesome! Haha.
I am so going to watch this now :)

She said...

Haha great review! Go dad watching a Jane Austen movie! :)

I wish my dad would watch movies-- he's too much of a busy body to even sit down for 30 minutes to pay attention to one. :p

Kim said...

You dad sounds like the coolest Dad ever! I thought I had looked on Netflix before for this -- so anyway I added to my queue. Thanks!

Alyce said...

That's great! It's neat to see a man who enjoys Austen and P&P!

theduckthief said...

That's so great that your dad enjoyed the miniseries. I discovered it earlier this year and loved it so much that it's part of my Everything Austen Challenge.

It looks like you're well on your way to finishing the challenge early.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I really liked this. Thanks for the review. & Thank you again for my beautiful packages/gifts :)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home