steampunk awesome. no, really!

Saturday, October 17, 2009 |

I’m going to gush for a second. Gail Carriger’s Soulless is a pretty freaking sweet read. It was absolutely perfect for a quiet, rainy Friday night. Hilarious, sweet, feisty, interesting (or am I just talking about main character Alexia Tarabotti?), and what I’d have to call my ideal mix of paranormal, sci-fi and ROMANCE.


I’ll admit it. I’m a closet trashy romance reader. Recently I’ve been cutting down on reading said books and looking for fantasy and sci-fi with a relational focus. Soulless totally did the trick for me. LOVED it. Why? Witty dialogue. Unique setting (I’m not a heavy steampunk reader, and if you aren’t either, this would be a great entry-level book). An amazing cast of characters, all of whom give you something to love, or wonder about, or just shake your head a little bit with a smile. Did I mention witty dialogue? Need I point out the fabulous cover art? The fact that this one is the first in at least a trilogy? That it has vampires (which I’m kind of over, but yeah), werewolves (SO hot) and parasols?! In other words, Soulless was for me. Also, I want Alexia’s wardrobe.


Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she’s a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she is being rudely attacked by a vampire to whom she has not been properly introduced!

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire, and the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible.

Can she figure out what is actually happening to London’s high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? And who is the real enemy . . . and do they have treacle tart?

Soulless is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking…

Recommended for anyone who might like light steampunk, werewolves, paranormal happenings, romance, London in the Gaslight Era, and funny (amusing funny, not ‘something might be a little off’ funny), comical amazing-ness. Enjoy!

20 comments:

Heather G. said...

I just barely heard that these type of books were called steampunk! I['m so out of the loop! I'm putting this on my TBR list. thanks for the great review!

Sara said...

Loved this book as well! So glad you're enjoying it! :)

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

This sounds really interesting. I just recently heard the word steampunk and now it's being thrown around everywhere. I think I'd enjoy it. Thanks for the post.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Can I ask a stupid question? *shame* What's steampunk?

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

Oh this sounds awesome. And the cover is just fabulous! Definitely adding it to the must read list.

Cecelia said...

For a tentative definition of steampunk, plus almost a hundred commenters giving their opinions, check out my post here.

Kim said...

Even tho I had read your earlier post about steampunk, I still had to google it just now -- but this sounds intriguing and fun. I'll put it on "the list" and give it a whirl. Thanks!

Leah l'Orange said...

ooohhh, INTRIGUING! love your description, C, and i may just look into this, too, although our bookstores SUCK for anything outside of the Twilight genre. there's NOTHING remotely edgy. BOO.

Unknown said...

I am so so so excited to read this. I prefer my romance with a bit of a fantasy/sci fi edge, too, although I long ago stopped being closeted about my enjoyment of trashy novels. Give me a good historical romance and I'll show you a happy reader! But steampunk romance, and a funny one to boot, now, that sounds absolutely delightful.

vvb32 reads said...

ha! i used witty in my review too! loved this book too! definitely one i'd re-read for a bit of fun. alexia rocksssss!

Aporia said...

You're getting into steampunk these days, huh?

Andrea said...

That looks really great and I love the cover too!

MissA said...

I don't even know what steampunk but it sounds like my type of read! I love me some witty dialogue and fiesty, funny characters :D
Fabulous review dah-ling!

She said...

yesssssss, definitely going on my list.

so i was looking through this catalogue and they had a whole bunch of victorian dresses in it and stuff like that (i don't really know why) and it totally made me think of you and this whole steampunk thing. not being creepy or anything-- just thought i would put that out there ;p

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I've been looking for a Steampunk novel to try, and this one seems like a good place to start!

Anonymous said...

This one has been on my list for a while. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

(I love a trashy romance occasionally, too.)

Rabid Fox said...

Aside from "trashy romance" it sounds like it could be a good read. I'm still going to keep "Leviathan" higher on the wish list though. :)

Anonymous said...

Ohhh this is right up my alley! I'm currently reading Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke, which isn't exactly the same, but definitely a good segue into this book. Hurrah!

Alyce said...

You had me right up to the part about vampires and werewolves. I have to agree that the cover art is awesome!

brizmus said...

I think I just heard the word steampunk for the first time about 2 weeks ago. And now it seems to be everywhere.
Anyhow, I have GOT to read this book!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home