thanksgiving food fest

Friday, November 27, 2009 |

First off, Happy Thanksgiving! I know it’s a US holiday, but it doesn’t hurt to count up your blessings every once in a while, regardless of your particular nationality. This year I’m thankful for family, friends, a job (part-time), a job interview (in December, for a full-time position!), health, the wonderful blogging community and for God’s remarkable provision.

Of course, a lot of Thanksgiving ‘on the ground’ is about the food. I LOVE the neurotic mess that is Thanksgiving cooking. That’s probably a huge failing in my character, but I think it’s okay to be cranky and gourmet and ridiculous in the kitchen for this one day. After all, what else is the family going to fight about?

And one of my favorite (and surprisingly simple) Thanksgiving foods is Peach Potato Puffs. I usually make them myself, in a triple batch, and they’re often the first dish finished on the buffet. This year my mother did them, but I fully intend to take back the recipe next year. In the meantime, enjoy – it goes extremely well with ham, too!

Peach Potato Puffs

INGREDIENTS

2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (oven bake 4 fresh sweet potatoes, then peel skins when cool)

1 teaspoon lemon juice

2 tablespoons brown sugar

¼ teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

6 canned peach halves

dash of cloves and cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

Combine sweet potatoes, lemon juice, salt, dash of cloves, cinnamon and butter; whip all ingredients until fluffy. Arrange peaches in greased 10 x 6 x 2-inch pan. Add potato mixture to top; dot with butter. Bake at 400˚F for 20 minutes. Serves 6.

7 comments:

KIKA said...

Yummy! all looks so good! happy thanksgiving!

Rhiannon Hart said...

Yum! That recipe sounds amazing. I spent Thanksgiving with a load of Kiwis--the house was decorated in Autumn colours and there was a massive turkey with all the trimmings. Not an American in sight but it was an excuse for a dinner party.

Anonymous said...

sounds freakin delicious. Now to find an excuse to host an american thanksgiving in australia...

-Aimee
http://myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

She said...

peaches and sweet potatoes?! can't go wrong with that!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! Hope your Thanksgiving was great!

Ryan said...

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. The sweet potato dish sounds fabulous. I never need an excuse to eat sweet potatos.

Nikki @ Bookizzle said...

I hope your Thanksgiving was full of great food and fun times!

Also, I have an award for you over here! :)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home