what to do, what to do...

Sunday, November 22, 2009 |

Haven’t updated in a bit because some inventory has gone missing in the inspiration department. BUT! I remembered this evening that I’d been meaning to finish this book-ish meme. I think I got it from Steph Su – I could be wrong – but she’s marvelous at any rate, and might as well have made up these questions. Enjoy, and feel free to steal them for your blog as well!


Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?

In an ideal world, I’d have a whole library full of hardbacks. But for ease and utility, trade paperbacks. And you can’t beat the price of a mass market…


Barnes & Noble or Borders?

I’m a Barnes & Noble girl. It might have something to do with the Starbucks & cheesecake in the café.


Bookmark or dog-ear?

Bookmark.


Amazon or brick-and-mortar?

I do like to shop on the internet, but recently I’ve discovered the joys of The Book Depository (sorry, Amazon!).


Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random?

Random. Unless shelving by size counts.


Keep, throw away, or sell?

I keep most of the books I buy for pleasure reading. I sell academic books if I don’t see myself using them again, and I’ve only ever thrown out a book by mistake.


Keep dust jacket or toss it?

KEEP! Dust jackets are integral to the hardback experience. Plus, they make good bookmarks.


Read with dust jacket or remove it?

With. See above.


Short story or novel?

Difficult decision…but if I go by volume of novels vs. short stories in my reading queue right now, novels win.


Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?

Harry Potter. I love that the books ‘grow up’ as Harry does.


Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?

When tired. I’m pretty impervious to the effects of chapter breaks.


“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?

Oh…this one’s hard! Can I have both? In the same story?


Buy or borrow?

I love to own books, but borrowing is much more economical. Certified library geek.


Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?

In that order exactly. I read book reviews (Booklist and School Library Journal, if they’re not too spoilery, and fellow book bloggers), then go to recommendations, and I’ve been known to browse occasionally as well.


Tidy ending or cliffhanger?

Somewhere in between. I don’t like having ALL ends tied up, but I’m not fond of books that can’t stand on their own either.


Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?

Nighttime, or between-appointments-time.


Stand-alone or series?

If I fall in love with a book, it’s nice to know that there’s a series following it up, but I believe in stand-alones in general. Sometimes the next books are disappointing, and then what do you do?


Favorite series?

If I have to pick just one…Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings.


Favorite children’s book?

A Christmas Card for Mr. McFizz by Obren Bokich.

Favorite YA book?

All of them. Umm...but seriously? Maybe The Only Alien on the Planet. Or The Blue Sword.


Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?

Mercedes Lackey’s Phoenix and Ashes. It’s magical alternate history set during World War I, and it’s loosely based on the Cinderella fairy tale. GREAT book.


Favorite books read last year?

Thirteenth Child, The Hunger Games, The Mysterious Benedict Society, Academy 7, Book of a Thousand Days, Chalice, The Graveyard Book. And many, many more.


Favorite books of all time?

Persuasion, The Blue Sword, Phoenix and Ashes, Neverwhere, Sabriel, The Once and Future King, The War of the Flowers, The Merlin Conspiracy, and Howl’s Moving Castle, to name a few.


What are you reading right now?

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, Libyrinth by Pearl North, and Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick.


What are you reading next?

Probably Genesis by Bernard Beckett.


Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?

Anything by Garth Nix or Robin McKinley, depending on the sex of the 11-year-old in question.


Favorite book to re-read?

Rilla of Ingleside or Phoenix and Ashes. Both make me cry buckets and fall in love with the characters all over again.


Do you ever smell books?

Yes. Anything verging on mildew is bad, but old paper smell? Awesome.


Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries?

I have, yes. They’re not a favorite, though. I’m a fan of editing.

10 comments:

Ginny Larsen said...

nice! love these answers... very [true] all of them.

and i really love "the only alien on the planet" too... great book.

Unknown said...

Oh man. Reading this post just upped my TBR list extensively, given that we have such similar tastes and you list a number of things here that I haven't read but would like to. I've never read/seen either Lackey's Phoenix and Ashes or Bokich's A Christmas Card for Mr. McFizz (which seems like an excellent book to read at this time of year!)

Lizzy said...

Very fun meme. I might have to steal it to post tomorrow, if that's ok. I'm also so glad that someone else knows about The Only Alien on the Planet. I thought I was the only one who had read it haha

Unknown said...

Glad you like the Hunger Games, I enjoyed it also can't wait for book three!


http://themockingjay.vndv.com

Ryan said...

Phoenix and Ashes is good I actually like all the Elemental Masters books.

Lisa said...

I used to fight sleep to stay awake long enough to get to the end of chapters. Then I got tired of starting the next chapter having no idea what happened at the end of the last chapter. Apparently reading while dozing off does not equal comprehension.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh yes, B&N over Borders any day. But independently own stores over all of that in a flash.
And see, now, I cannot stay focused on reading a book when I've kept the dust jacket on! In fact, I remove all of them (but can't bear to throw them away, I keep every one in a box specifically for the matter); any excess on the cover (or opposite - paperback covers that have diecuts or holes on them) drive me crazy... I'm a bit silly :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Can't wait to see what you think of Genesis

Victoria said...

I shelve my books my size too! I thought I was the only one that does that! At least I do from the strange look/comment I got from my boyfriend when he found out that's how I do it...it just looks so much nicer!

J.T. Oldfield said...

I've been trying to patronize Borders because they're practically going out of business and since they're based out of my home state of Michigan, I have a special fondness for them. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have a lot of them out here.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home