lemon bar cupcakes will win you friends

It is true. I know, because it worked for me. Sort of. I suppose in the interest of full disclosure I should admit that all the taste testers were already my friends. But Lemon Bar Cupcakes totally CEMENTED our pre-existing friendships. And that is kind of true. Or something.

I got this recipe from Party Cupcake Ideas, via a twitter link from the fabulous author Lisa Mantchev. In fact, the lady in question is hosting a Cupcakeathon today in honor of the Perchance to Dream book publication date. Check the event out at her blog. And honestly? Go make some cupcakes! Because they’re perfect for any celebration AND for the everyday, too. Plus, extra friends. You can’t go wrong there (I don’t think, anyway).


Lemon Bar Cupcakes

INGREDIENTS


1 box of your favorite lemon cake mix


1 small package lemon instant pudding

1 cup sour cream


3/4 cup water


3/4 cup oil


4 eggs



DIRECTIONS


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
 In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix together for several minutes.
 Batter will be fairly thick in consistency.


Bake for 20 minutes. When you remove the cupcakes to cool, you might notice that they are indented in the middle. This can be smoothed out when you add your lemon bar frosting.

Lemon Bar Frosting


This is where I fudged. If you look at the recipe from Party Cupcake Ideas, you make the frosting from scratch. I…didn’t. Here’s what I did do:


INGREDIENTS


1 large can prepared whipped white frosting

fresh-squeezed juice of two lemons

zest of one lemon

extra powdered sugar (a cup or two?)

DIRECTIONS


Mix ingredients together until you’ve got something that is icing-like consistency. Scoop into a quart- or gallon-sized Ziploc bag. Seal bag. Cut a small corner of bag off. Ice the cupcakes with swirls of lemon bar frosting! Maybe it’s not gourmet, but it works. Oh! And those little yellow balls? Are chewy Lemonheads. LOVE!

12 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Oh wow. These look amazing :)

Peaceful Reader said...

Oh, these look just yummy!! Thanks for sharing!

Ginny Larsen said...

yummy yum yum.

i think you're right about the friends thing... baking is magical like that.

Unknown said...

They look really delicious!

Margot said...

A cupcake-a-thon? Perfect idea. Your cupcakes look so good and the recipes looks so easy. See - just a picture and a recipe and you've gained a new friend. I'm eating them in the virtual world.

Andrea said...

Those look delicious!

vvb32 reads said...

*sigh* i wish i lived near you so that i could get some of these edibles ;-D

Sullivan McPig said...

*drool*
Those look delicious!

Rhiannon Hart said...

Oh lordy! Can you come over and make me a batch?

Kim said...

This is the second lemon cupcake recipe I've seen this week. I can seriously taste them. Yum!

Becca said...

Girl, those look amazing! I am just now getting into cooking (I can boil water and microwave popcorn but after that it gets tricky) so these might be out of my league now, but I am going to remember them for when I am cupcake ready! My mouth is watering for the lemony goodness.

Lisa said...

These sound delicious! I'm having a graduation party this weekend and I just might have to add these to the table.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home