books i thought i'd love, but ended up hating

The Book List is a short and fun meme that allows you to share books with the blogosphere and make a list. Who doesn't love lists (quiet, you!)? It is hosted weekly by Rebecca at Lost in Books.

This Week's Topic is: 3 books you thought you’d love but ended up hating

1. Princess Ben by Catherine Murdock

Dairy Queen and its companion novels pretty much single-handedly showed me that I could fall in love with realistic YA fiction. I was ready to swear allegiance to the Catherine Murdock fan-for-life group. Well, as long as they had coffee at their meetings. So when I found out she was publishing a fantasy (my favorite genre!) novel, I just about had kittens. I bought the hardcover and greedily started reading it. And put it right back down. Tried again. URGH! I can’t explain it, but there’s something about this book that just rubs me wrong. And that was a huge disappointment.

2. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

This is one of my mom’s favorite novels, which is saying something, because she doesn’t read much for pleasure. She recalled it fondly when I carried it to her to see if I could borrow it. So I sat down with the expectation that it would be made of awesome. It was famous! Plus, it was on a classics list that I got from the library (I had big goals!). And…I hated it. Couldn’t connect with the story, main character, setting…ANYTHING. Of course, I was a suburban kid (aged 13?), and I didn’t know much. But I knew I didn’t like this book.

3. Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

I’m hesitant to mention this one, because I know so many people have enjoyed it. I couldn’t, though, and it’s partly my own fault. I read Wicked Lovely, this book’s precursor, and loved it. It had the same effect on me that Twilight did – I slurped it down in one gulp, and then recommended it to others. So my expectations were high going in, and I thought I’d be getting a certain sort of story. Instead, there was a lot of violence and using, which I was (and still am) not cool with, in any way, shape, or form. I had nightmares about this book, and it’s not something I’d ever voluntarily pick up again.

So, tell me: what are some books you thought you’d love, but ended up hating?

16 comments:

Lexie said...

I have the same problem with Dairy Queen. I read Princess Ben first and loved it and figured I'd love Queen as well. ::sigh:: Not so much.

And I know how you feel about Ink Exchange I tried pretty hard to get into that book, but it wasn't happening for me.

Rabid Fox said...

I have yet to read Catcher in the Rye, and honestly, there's no great chance I will any time soon.

I thought I'd like Charlaine Harris's Dead Until Dark, but I thought it was a drawn out bore. Very disappointed there, and gave up the entire series after the first book. I may have to watch the TV adaptation to see if I like it any better.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

It's so disappointing when you read a book, love it and then the sequel is awful.

I didn't love Catcher, but I definitely loved some of his others. If you're ever up for trying Salinger again, I'd suggest Nine Stories.

Peaceful Reader said...

I didn't love Catcher in the Rye either!

Librarian Who said...

I also didn't enjoy Catcher in the Rye. I thought Holden Caulfield was a major boor and a whiner.

Emilyandherlittlepinknotes said...

Love those discussions. My Pics:

Vintage Fiction

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (not his best book)
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

Ya

Melissa Marr: it seems I can't get into her books, not really
Hush Hush: don't see what all the fuss is about
Twilight: I didn't like the first and didn't bother with second, third,...

Paranormal

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1) by J. R. Ward

I stopped after 100 pages feeling slightly nauseated

Jenny said...

I support all disliking of Catcher in the Rye - though in my case, I thought I was going to dislike it and then I did indeed dislike it.

pussreboots said...

Princess Ben was a recent "did not finish" for me as well. Catcher in the Rye I expected to hate and ended up loving it.

Becca said...

I don't like Catcher in the Rye either! It was SO boring and the ending was like...that's it? Seriously? I thought maybe it was because I was about 24 when I read it and not a teenager, but clearly it didn't work for you as a teen either.

Shy said...

I didn't really like The Modern Faery Tales series by Holly Black. I read the whole three books, in hope it would get better but it turned out really disappointing in the end. The obnoxious language used in the book as well as excessive sexual references totally turned me off for this one. I really didn't expect it to be bad as quite a lot of people seems to like it.

Lisa said...

I know a lot of people that didn't like Catcher in the Rye--I'm wondering if it's one you really have to read when you're of a certain age.

Memory said...

I was absolutely sure I'd love THE GOOD THIEF by Hannah Tinti. All the reviews I read stressed the amazing characters and their clever confidence games, and that's right up my alley. When I finally settled down with it, I was beyond disappointed. I didn't like any of the characters. I felt like Tinti was telling me one thing about them but showing me another. Their cons were all pretty standard. And, to top it all off, I guessed the ending right away, and found it far too cliched for mmy tastes. I still almost wonder if I read the same book as everyone else; if maybe I got the not-so-good version.

Stephanie said...

I did like The Catcher in the Rye, but I liked Franny and Zooey better. :-) I never understood why Catcher in the Rye got all the hype.

Alyce said...

I'm bummed to see that you didn't like Princess Ben. I've had that one on my radar for a while and thought it looked good. I guess I'll have to give it a pass.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Lack of character connection gets me every single time.

Kim said...

I just finished Catcher in the Rye last night and was left scratching my head. What's to love? :)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home