how my blog got its name, or, happy father’s day

Sunday, June 20, 2010 |
I’ve gotten a couple of questions over time about my blog name. Queries such as: How did I come up with it? Does it have a story? If so, will I share? I’ve put off answering until now because I felt that such a special story deserved a special day.

First off, my real, full name IS Cecelia. My friends have called me a variety of nicknames over the years, but mostly I’ll answer to anything in the vicinity of my name, even on occasion to ‘Cynthia’ or ‘Sylvia.’ It’s lovely to have a special, old-fashioned name, but it is a bit difficult for remembering and orthography.

Secondly (for this story’s sake), I came by my love of reading via my family. My mom, though not a big reader herself, was very conscientious about reading aloud to my siblings and I every day. We went through dog books, horse books, Narnia books, adventures and fairy tales, and even a scary tale or three. She read aloud most mornings and some evenings, and on camping trips. I think that was absolutely fantastic, and part of the reason I’m such a bookworm today.

But there were also a couple very special moments in my childhood when I remember my dad reading aloud to me. It didn’t happen often, so that made it all the more memorable. My dad worked from 6am to 4pm every weekday so that he could be home with the family in the afternoons and take every other Friday off. He came home tired most days, but he was always kind, patient, and generous with his time.

You may have already guessed this, but the title ‘Adventures of Cecelia Bedelia,’ is adapted from the title of children’s book The Adventures of Amelia Bedelia, by Peggy Parish. That’s because I remember my dad reading the book aloud to me and substituting my name with Amelia’s every time. When the absurdly literal title character was mentioned, she became Cecelia Bedelia. I must have been six or seven years old, and I thought that that was the height of fun. My dad was telling me a silly story, he was reading it to ME, and for me. Those moments were so special that even now they make me tear up.

So this blog, in a way, is dedicated to my dad. He’s a great man, and a great father. Happy Father’s Day, Dad!

17 comments:

Peaceful Reader said...

Oh, I love this story of dad love. Moms are always there for us but there is some special bond that can occur between a dad and his daughter. Great story to go with the unique title of your blog. I blogged about my Dad as well today.

Lauren said...

Thanks for sharing that, it's really lovely. I definitely think that being read to as a child has a lasting effect. Hope your dad had a great Father's Day. :)

Kristen M. said...

What a sweet story! It was good of your dad to make the story extra special for you. I'll have to remember to do that for Z!

Librarian Who said...

That is so sweet!

Anonymous said...

I was one of those who were wondering where your name came from.
I just gave you a stylish award:

http://emilyandherlittlepinknotes.com/2010/06/21/stylish-and-versatile%C2%A0blogger%C2%A0awards/

Em

Andrea said...

What a sweet story. What a great memory to have with your dad!


P.S. I have an award for you.

Nina said...

Great story! I did wonder about the name of your blog. :)

fredamans said...

Fabulous story! Thank you for sharing it with us, it made me smile.

Nan said...

Wonderful, wonderful story, and I am SO happy you told it.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sharing.

beachvintage.com said...

What a sweet post. Thanks for dropping by Beach Vintage and hope to see you again soon.

vvb32 reads said...

oH, love this story. thanks for sharing it. you have a great dad. i loved the interview you had with him last year. his take on zombies was fun.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ahhh I love this :) and I love your name :)

Jenny Q said...

Very cool story. Now I'm jealous my name didn't rhyme with Amelia. I loved those books!

Lisa said...

Some people say that, where parenting is concerned, quantity of time trumps quality of time. I contend both are needed. Your dad may not have had as much time with you as your mom, but clearly it was quality time that stood the test of time.

Jenny said...

Mercy, I didn't realize I was a whole week behind on my blog reading! But I just wanted to comment (belatedly) and say what a lovely post this is. :)

Really Old Guy said...

Cecelia,


Thanks for your kind mention and the memory. I really enjoyed all those years with all of you kids too! You were great fans and a "captive" audience and I enjoyed making you laugh. It's humbling to know that God uses the simplest of things to create the most memorable of times. Parents, remember: it's not always the special birthday parties, the trip to Disneyland, the week-long camping trip, or the cross-country trip that may be one the most treasured memories. Sometimes, it's the simple things that "really connect" with a child and that will be special memories.

I am truly blessed by my children MORE than they can know, and I thank God for each one!

Much love,

Dad

Newer Posts Older Posts Home