i kissed a zombie, and i liked it

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 |

Just so you know, I didn’t kiss a zombie, and I certainly didn’t like it. Did that come out wrong? You got the idea, anyway. Me + zombies + physical contact = not happening. BUT. I am still Team Zombie. From a distance. Make that a long distance…behind some shatterproof glass and barbed wire. Yeah. In this case, the blog post is actually the book title, so everyone’s safe.


I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It is a fun, farcical take on YA literature, teen trends, pop culture and the vampire craze that has swept the nation. I know you’re saying to me, “VAMPIRES? When did that happen? ‘Cause I thought this was a pretty obvious zombie book.” You’re right (you always are). But you know what? It’s a two-for-one deal.


Algonquin “Alley” Rhodes, the high school newspaper’s music critic, meets an intriguing singer, Doug, while reviewing a gig. He’s a weird-looking guy—goth, but he seems sincere about it, like maybe he was into it back before it was cool. She introduces herself after the set, asking if he lives in Cornersville, and he replies, in his slow, quiet murmur, “Well, I don’t really live there, exactly...”

When Alley and Doug start dating, Alley is falling so hard she doesn’t notice a few odd signs: he never changes clothes, his head is a funny shape, and he says practically nothing out loud. Finally Marie, the school paper’s fashion editor, points out the obvious: Doug isn’t just a really sincere goth. He’s a zombie. Horrified that her feelings could have allowed her to overlook such a flaw, Alley breaks up with Doug, but learns that zombies are awfully hard to get rid of—at the same time she learns that vampires, a group as tightly-knit as the mafia, don’t think much of music critics who make fun of vampires in reviews…


Oh, this book is HILARIOUS. And scathing. Which is part of why it’s hilarious. It’s like that hipster zombie novel I linked to a while back, or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It’s not serious in any way, shape or form. It’s a novel-length joke, and a good one at that. Despite the ribbing I received from my friends for the title and the cover, I took this one out in public, because I just couldn’t stop giggling or reading passages out loud. Adam Selzer's writing tickles my funnybone. Let me give you an example:


Watching a vampire make out with an idiot is kind of like going to the farmers' market and noticing just how many farmers have lost fingers in on-the-job accidents. Even though it's kind of disturbing, it's impossible to look away.”


And that’s only the first page. Lovelovelove this book. Not that it’s GOOD, mind you. I mean, it’s hilarious, but it’s not Shakespeare. And the pop culture references that made me laugh most won’t stand up over time. But it’s absurd and honest about it, and I don’t regret spending my time or my money. I think anyone who appreciates the lighter side of life will like this one. Warning: not for Twi-hards or those who like their reading material deadly serious (yes, pun intended). IS recommended for: all the rest, especially if you need a laugh. With a side of unabashed fun. And ridiculousness. Yep.

27 comments:

Lizzy said...

I always appreciate a funny book. I think that the main reason I haven't picked this one up, however, is the cover. I need a bit of ridiculousness in my life right now, so I'll give it a try. Great review!

Sam said...

That book sounds hilarious! I wonder if it's available here in The Netherlands

Nomes said...

you sold me! This book sounds officially awesome - exactly my kind of thing. Off to track it down :)

Loved your review - you write really well :)

Alyce said...

I probably still won't read it (because I just don't read zombie books), but very funny review!

Tales of Whimsy said...

LOL
Thanks for the warning at the end :)

Lexie said...

if this pops up again I'm terribly sorry, but I got a service error?

I've always wanted to read this book so I'm glad to know its as hilarious as I want it to be. Then again Adam is pretty funny in interviews so I expect nothing less.

That said thank you for the hipster zombie rec!

Lexie C.

Darlyn said...

I never read zombie books and i'm so excited to read this one..I would love to share the ridiculousness of it LOL

Sullivan McPig said...

It just bumped itself way up on my tbr list.

Reading said...

Loved the review. I think, like you, I can appreciate my zombies from a distance.

Jasindo said...

Great. Now I have another book to add to my wish list. Thanks for this great review! Nice intro by the way. =)

Icedream said...

I'm definitely not a twi-hard and I love to laugh so I'm going to have to read this book. Thanks for a great review.

Sharli said...

I love the sound of this book! From time to time I'm in the mood for something less serious and funny. This seems like the perfect kind of book for that.

titania86 said...

When I saw the cover, I didn't really know what angle the author would choose. I'm glad it's super funny. Can't wait to read it. Great review!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have to check this out! I love zombie fiction and as it's pretty much the anti-Twilight, sounds perfect reading to me :) Thanks for the great review Cecelia

Liz. R said...

I think this books is definitely for me. So not a twi-hard, love laughing and I've never read anything about zombies before, so why not start now?

The cover kind of creeps me out though. That guy's face is freaky...

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

you gotta love a little silliness every once in while! this looks great!

Misha said...

Woah! Would love to read the book!

Kemendraugh said...

Hah! I've never been a real fan of zombies. But this book might change my mind!

revolution93 said...

sounds like a great book! cant wait to read it

A'lina said...

This sounds so funny! I can't wait to read this!

Liz said...

Im glad you think the book was funny! Im hoping I will too :) This book sounds good, plus you gave an awesome interview!!

Liz said...

This book sounds hilarious!! I never really considered it before UNTIL I read your amazing freaking Review :) I can not wait to read this

Cass said...

I like the teaser! Nice review. I can't wait to read this one.

Laina said...

I keep wanting to make up lyrics to that...

I kissed a zombie and I liked it,
The taste of his undead chapstick.
I kissed a zombie just to try it,
Hope my werewolf don't mind it...

*snork*

Zara said...

Okay, this sounds amazing! I really, really want to read it now.

Pink Panther said...

Thanks for this lovely review! Sounds pretty hilarious, considering you mentioned it one in a couple sentences. I'd love to give it a try! :)

Fi-chan said...

I never knew that this book and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies are light hilarious!! I thought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is kinda serious LOL.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home