waiting on wednesday (3)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 |

I’m participating today in "Waiting On" Wednesday. It is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, and its purpose is to spotlight eagerly anticipated upcoming releases.


I found this Charles de Lint title through Voracious YAppetite, a new-to-me blog with sweet suggestions of books to look out for. I’m a fan of de Lint most of the time, and I read all of his titles to find out whether it will be a love/hate thing. So I’ll definitely be waiting for this one, and hoping it’s as awesome as it sounds. The Painted Boy comes out on November 11, 2010 from Viking.


Jay Li should be in Chicago, finishing high school and working at his family’s restaurant. Instead, as a born member of the Yellow Dragon Clan - part human, part dragon, like his grandmother - he is on a quest even he does not understand.

His journey takes him to Santo del Vado Viejo in the Arizona desert, a town overrun by gangs, haunted by members of other animal clans, perfumed by delicious food, and set to the beat of Malo Malo, a barrio rock band whose female lead guitarist captures Jay’s heart.

He must face a series of dangerous, otherworldly - and very human - challenges to become the man, and dragon, he is meant to be. This is Charles de Lint at his best!

6 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Sounds a bit interesting. I don't know if it's quite my type of fantasy, but the idea of dragons is different and cool.

-Lauren

Alison Can Read said...

Sounds very interesting. I like books that weave fantasy into contemporary settings.

Kris (Voracious YAppetite) said...

Thank you for the shout out and stopping by earlier, Celia! This does look so good, right? Sadly (and embarrassingly) I have yet to read a CDL title, but this one is actually one of my most anticipated releases for the second half of the year! The male POV, dragons, adventure, romance--I can't wait! (:

Shari said...

Sounds like a cool read. I've been checking out your blog tonight and I really like it. now following. Shari
myneuroticbookaffair.blogspot.com

Violet said...

I have not read any of Charles de Lint's books yet, but the premise of The Painted Boy sounds interesting. Thanks for featuring this book today.

Ryan said...

Charles de Lint is one of those authors that I have always heard good things about and one I'm always wanted to try. I do have one of his books on my shelves waiting to be read and if I like it I will defiently go for The Painted Boy. It sounds like a interesting read. Thanks for brining it to our attention

Newer Posts Older Posts Home