chicken soup for... you.

Friday, January 20, 2012 |
It has finally started to feel like winter here in Washington, DC (complete with a weather advisory tonight…what?), and this means it is soup season! Soups are perfect for warming you up from the inside out, curing what ails you, and making your house smell like home. I’ll admit that I usually buy canned soup for convenience, but over Christmas I helped my mother make this tasty version of traditional chicken noodle, and I give it my highest recommendation!


Chicken Soup (from a cooks.com recipe)


INGREDIENTS


1-2 lbs. chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces

1 turnip, diced

2 carrots, peeled and sliced

3-4 parsnips, peeled and diced

1 large white or yellow onion

1 Tablespoon dill weed

1 lb. egg noodles

2-3 cartons chicken stock (64-96 ounces)

Salt and black pepper to taste


DIRECTIONS


Place chicken in large pot. Sprinkle vegetables around chicken. Add chicken stock (make sure you have enough that it covers everything). Add salt and pepper to taste. Add dill. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for two hours. Do not cook for more than three hours.


In separate pot, boil egg noodles in salted water for 10-12 minutes, drain, and add to soup.



As you can probably tell, there’s some wiggle room with this recipe (or any soup recipe, really). Depending on how ‘soupy’ you want it, you can add more or less liquid, add more or less spice, and adjust the types and numbers of veggies. The way we made it, though? Pretty freaking good. We doubled the recipe and it was gone in two days. YUM.


Recommended for: a cold day, a delicious homemade soup staple, and anytime you feel under the weather (or as a preventative!).

4 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

O I bet the dill weed gives it some nice depth. Great recipe.

ShaunaKelleyWrites said...

Looks delicious! I am in Baltimore, so I woke up to snow this morning (which made me so happy I blogged about it!) so today might be a good day to stay in and make some chicken soup.

Adriana @ BooksOnHerMind said...

Why do you do this? I want it now. And I don't even like soup!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I just made homemade chicken noddle soup for the first time last week. It turned out great, but I like the dill weed idea. I'll add that in next time.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home