waiting on wednesday (27)

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 |
I’m participating today in "Waiting On" Wednesday. It is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, and its purpose is to spotlight eagerly anticipated upcoming releases.

I’ve been following the ‘rise’ of steampunk since 2009, when I realized that it combined two of my favorite things: historical fiction (umm, what my childhood was made of?) and science fiction.  Best recent additions to the subgenre?  Philip Reeve’s Fever Crumb, Scott Westerfeld’s Leviathan series, and Meljean Brooks’ Iron Seas books.  Of course for pure fun and fluff, Kady Cross’ The Girl in the Steel Corset earns a nomination too.  Imagine my delight when I saw this book cover and read the description.  It sounds like I’ll have another wonderful series to add to my reading list (joy!).  Tiffany Trent’s The Unnaturalists will be published by Simon & Schuster, and releases on August 14th, 2012.

the unnaturalists by tiffany trent book coverIn an alternate London where magical creatures are preserved in a museum, two teens find themselves caught in a web of intrigue, deception, and danger.

Vespa Nyx wants nothing more than to spend the rest of her life cataloging Unnatural creatures in her father’s museum, but as she gets older, the requirement to become a lady and find a husband is looming large. Syrus Reed’s Tinker family has always served and revered the Unnaturals from afar, but when his family is captured to be refinery slaves, he finds that his fate may be bound up with Vespa’s—and with the Unnaturals.

As the danger grows, Vespa and Syrus find themselves in a tightening web of deception and intrigue. At stake may be the fate of New London—and the world.

What books are you waiting on?

18 comments:

Charlotte said...

That sounds really good! I love a good museum!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Me too! :)

Sara Kovach / Dare to be Different - Teach! said...

Up til now, I did not even know what steam-punk was. It totally does not sound anything like what it is.

I will have to pick up some and give them a shot, considering that I love both historical fiction and scifi.

This one looks awesome!!
My WoW: http://sosimplesara.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday-16.html

Reader Unfolded said...

I loved Leviathan (still need to read the last book though). I'll need to check out some more of these books you've recommended. I hope you get to read The Unnaturalists sometime soon.

Reader Unfolded said...

Oh...I have a WOW too. Forgot to mention that! Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.oneadayya.blogspot.ca/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday_16.html

test said...

Steampunk!!! I think the genre is new and is gaining good attention. I think if ever dystopian is old this genre will the be the next it! or is it the it already? lol but alas Unnaturalists sounds really good! Awesome pick!

My WoW picks here

Jay
We Fancy Books

Nicole said...

Oooo, I was waiting for this one a few weeks ago. Great pick!

Laura (All of Everything) said...

I'm finding myself more drawn to the historical genre and more often than not, steampunk is involved. It's just such a fascinating genre/time period to read about. I'm looking forward to reading about these unnatural creatures!

Gaby G said...

I should read steampunk, I don't know why I haven't been curious about it.

Lexie said...

Fantastic choice! I'm a fan of steampunk in general, but this one in particular sounds like it could be really incredible. I adore the premise.

Kari said...

I've had this on my TBR list for a while now... so long, I didn't even realize they had a cover out for it! Beautiful!

Thanks for stopping by my blog =)

Louisa @ Words I Write Crazy said...

That sounds so amazing! And steampunk! It's one of the best genres, and lots of fun! And the dresses, they look so pretty! Great pick! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of this one before it showed up in my mailbox, but it sounds so good. I haven't read much steampunk, but like what I have tried. I'm really excited to start this one, great pick =)

Little Miss Becky said...

SO excited about this one! I can't wait to read it.

Liviania said...

Steampunk novels always have such pretty covers.

Darlene said...

I think this one looks phenomenal! It has definitely made my waiting list too! Thanks for sharing your pick.

Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

Debbie's World of Books said...

This sounds like an interesting pick. I've never heard of it before. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Kristen M. said...

This one sounds pretty awesome! I hope it's as good as the idea!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home