waiting on wednesday (29)

I’m participating today in "Waiting On" Wednesday. It is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, and its purpose is to spotlight eagerly anticipated upcoming releases.

I have an acknowledged thing for clever middle grade books.  I love the sparkle, crackle and wit of their precocious characters.  I like that they find ways out of impossible situations with very few tools and never, ever admit defeat.  Part of me hopes that their resourcefulness and self-belief is catching, and that I’ll become braver and better simply by reading the book.  Oh, and I hope I laugh, too!  Today’s WoW pick is a likely addition to this favorite subgenre of mine, and I can’t wait to read it.  Claire Legrand’s The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls will be published by Simon & Schuster, and releases on August 28th, 2012.

the cavendish home for boys and girls by claire legrand book coverVictoria hates nonsense. There is no need for it when your life is perfect. The only smudge on her pristine life is her best friend Lawrence. He is a disaster—lazy and dreamy, shirt always untucked, obsessed with his silly piano. Victoria often wonders why she ever bothered being his friend. (Lawrence does, too.)

But then Lawrence goes missing. And he’s not the only one. Victoria soon discovers that Mrs. Cavendish’s children’s home is not what it appears to be. Kids go in but come out…different, or they don’t come out at all.

If anyone can sort this out, it’s Victoria, even if it means getting a little messy.

What books are you waiting on?

4 comments:

Sara Kovach / Dare to be Different - Teach! said...

I love middle grade novels too. This one sounds very witty and fun.

My WoW: http://sosimplesara.blogspot.com/2012/06/waiting-on-wednesday-18.html

Liviania said...

"I love the sparkle, crackle and wit of their precocious characters. I like that they find ways out of impossible situations with very few tools and never, ever admit defeat."

That is why middle grade books are great, isn't it? You put it perfectly.

Tales of Whimsy said...

This looks super cute :)

Nicole said...

THIS. I'm SO excited for this!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home