waiting on wednesday (31)

I’m participating today in "Waiting On" Wednesday. It is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, and its purpose is to spotlight eagerly anticipated upcoming releases.

First, before you do or think anything about the book I’m going to mention, look at its gorgeous cover art.  Possibly sit and drink it in, if you have the time.  Okay, done that?  Well, I don’t see how you could NOT want to read the book.  However, if you haven’t fallen under the sway of the cover... I shall parade a few facts!  Middle Grade.  Fairy tale.  A story within a book that changes as it is told—or acted out.  Dragon.  Clever, reckless princess.  My dears, this novel sounds lovely and a bit like Catherynne M. Valente’s Fairyland books.  Which are some of the best children’s books ever.  I can tell this story and I will get along like a house on fire.  Or possibly like a clever princess and an unusual dragon.  Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill will be published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (Hachette), and releases on October 9th, 2012.

iron hearted violet by kelly barnhill book coverThe end of their world begins with a story.
This one.

In most fairy tales, princesses are beautiful, dragons are terrifying, and stories are harmless. This isn't most fairy tales. 

Princess Violet is plain, reckless, and quite possibly too clever for her own good. Particularly when it comes to telling stories. One day she and her best friend, Demetrius, stumble upon a hidden room and find a peculiar book. A
forbidden book. It tells a story of an evil being—called the Nybbas—imprisoned in their world. The story cannot be true—not really. But then the whispers start. Violet and Demetrius, along with an ancient, scarred dragon, may hold the key to the Nybbas's triumph…or its demise. It all depends on how they tell the story. After all, stories make their own rules.

Iron Hearted Violet is a story of a princess unlike any other. It is a story of the last dragon in existence, deathly afraid of its own reflection. Above all, it is a story about the power of stories, our belief in them, and how one enchanted tale changed the course of an entire kingdom.

What books are you waiting on?

15 comments:

Charlotte said...

This one caught my eye too! It sounds excellent.

Nicole said...

I have to stop coming over to your WoW. You're making my wishlist longer.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I did drink in the cover...wonderful! And the blurb sounds tempting. Enjoy!

Here's MY WOW POST

Anonymous said...

This sounds great! Your line above - "clever princess and an unusual dragon" - made me immediately think of The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede, and I loved those books. I think I'm down for trying another princess and dragon story. Especially one with such a good synopsis and cover art =) Great pick!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

This sounds absolutely amazing! the first I've heard of it but I will definitely be finding out more. Great choice! :)

Liviania said...

The wild red hair on the cover makes me think of Brave.

Danny said...

the first sentence of the synopsis sold me! The heroine sounds exactly how I like my heroes :))

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Wow, the sound of this protagonist is awesome, I think i want to read the book just for her alone! great pick, i haven't heard of it before :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

O this sounds awesome. Like something I would really enjoy. Awesome cover.

Jamie said...

I am loving fantasy more and more lately. This seems like a great pick!

danya said...

The title of this one is really neat! Looks like dragons are starting to make a comeback in MG/YA, eh? And gotta love a good princess story :D

elena said...

OK, you got me at comparing it to Valente's Fairyland books. LOVE THAT! I haven't heard of this book but it's going on my TBR now. I love princesses!!

Dazzling Mage said...

This sounds GOOD! Great WoW pick!

Mundie Moms said...

Ooh I love it when I find a book I've not heard of before. Thank you for featuring this one! I'm going to add it to my list.

Mundie Moms said...

Ooh I love it when I find a book I've not heard of before. Thank you for featuring this one! I'm going to add it to my list.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home