what to do: if you think you want to move to seattle

Thursday, June 28, 2012 |
Hi world!  It’s me, Cecelia.  Yes, people sing that Simon & Garfunkel song to me a lot.  Especially when they first meet me.  Another thing people do when they first meet me: ask where I’m from.  I say ‘Seattle!’ with a smile, and hold my breath to see what type of person they will be.  There are several choices, in case you were wondering.

Hello Seattle Print [source unknown]

Them #1: ‘Oh!’ they say, ‘I LOVE Seattle.  I was there one time and it was SO BEAUTIFUL!  I want to move there!’
Me: ‘How nice!  When did you go?   July or August?  That’s great that you saw it in summer – Seattle is beautiful in the summer.  You can mostly count on the weather from July 4th through the end of September.  But (for the love of God and all that is holy) before you move, go for a two week visit in the middle of winter.  You should to see how dark it is and see if you can adjust before you make any big commitments.’

Them #2: ‘I love music, and I just think Seattle would be good for my soul, you know?  I should totally move there!’  Then they add doubtfully, ‘Why do you live here?’
Me: ‘I hope your soul likes sun lamps.  What?  Oh, just a little joke.  Umm…do me a favor and buy a fleece jacket and a thermos/flask when you get there, okay?  Okay.’

Them #3: ‘Oh man, it rains there a lot, huh?’
Me: ‘Yes.  A little bit each day.’ [conversation peters into nothing, everyone moves on]

Them #4: ‘How does it feel to lose the Super Sonics to Oklahoma City?’
Me: *inwardly fumes* ‘Oh, yeah, that was too bad.  I don’t watch basketball much.’ *thinks other person is evil*

This public service announcement brought to you by someone who a) lived in the Seattle area for 18 years, b) likes fog more than any other weather condition, c) currently resides in the OTHER Washington, and d) goes home happily every Christmas to days that end at 3:45pm.  Inspired by real interactions, true stories, and one conversation with new girl at work, just this afternoon.  And dear goodness, do I miss Seattle today.  It’s TOO HOT here.

Have further questions about Seattle/other things/life and the meaning of goldfish?  Ask in the comments (but not really about the meaning of goldfish – i have no idea. aliens?).

p.s. this YouTube commercial was my childhood. exactly.

8 comments:

Liviania said...

I can't imagine days ending at 3:45. Wow.

Ginny Larsen said...

i can vouch for the blue tarps... they happened. a lot.
xoxo!

Kristen M. said...

Hilarious! My mom comes to visit sometimes for Thanksgiving or Christmas from So Cal and all she can say over and over is "I could never live here!" It's definitely not for everyone but for those of us who love it, it's the best. :)

Nan said...

My kinda place. Really. Sounds a bit like here, only we have snow instead of rain, and probably more sunshine.

Anonymous said...

Just remember ferry rides, Mt. Rainier, and all the accessible water in and around Seattle!!

Cecelia said...

Kristen: Ah, you're nearly a native. *grin*

Nan: I do think you'd like it - my mom has survived and thrived almost 40 years (she grew up in Syracuse), so NE transplants do work.

Ryan said...

I never lived in Seattle but I did live in OR and WA. I kinda like the weather myself :-)

My cousin and her family just moved back to Seattle earlier this year actually.

fakesteph said...

This is too funny. I've never been to Seattle, but I know I wouldn't want to live there. I'm glad to be close to my family on the east coast, but I miss Southern California!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home