Today’s directive was to come up with a top ten of favorite authors in X genre. I chose to list my favorite fantasy authors (big surprise there, eh?). A note: this isn’t a list of favorite books, it’s a list of authors I auto-buy, favorites for life, and old standbys. Basically, my comfort zone.
Top Ten Favorite Fantasy Authors
1. Robin McKinley – There was a time when I equated fairy tales with fantasy. McKinley’s beautiful books certainly contributed to that, I can honestly say that I have loved (or at least severely liked) everything she’s written.
2. Neil Gaiman – Mr. Gaiman is a genius. Enough said.
3. Diana Wynne Jones – The late Diana wrote many books of fantasy, and I’m slowly making my way through them and savoring the experience. Personal favorites? The Merlin Conspiracy and Howl’s Moving Castle.
4. Garth Nix – The Abhorsen Series is exquisite. His middle grade Troubletwisters and Keys to the Kingdom series are delightful. Mr. Nix can’t write books fast enough to suit me.
5. Patricia McKillip – If lyrical high fantasy is your thing, you need to read McKillip.
6. Holly Black – Who writes compulsively readable fantasy for all ages? Holly Black. The author of the Spiderwick Chronicles and (my favorite) the Curse Workers books always seems to have a new trick up her sleeve.
7. Charles de Lint – I came to de Lint’s writing through his Jack of Kinrowan fairy tale retelling, and I stayed for dark urban fantasy.
8. J.K. Rowling – I dare anyone of my generation to read these books and not fall in love with Hogwarts. I will certainly follow Rowling into whatever world she creates in the future.
9. Patricia C. Wrede – Whether you prefer swords and sorcery, Victorian England, the western wilds of America or worlds unknown, Wrede has written fantasy to fit your taste.
10. Catherynne M. Valente – The author who wrote September into being has also published adult novels, short stories, novellas – everything you can imagine. And it’s all good.
Honorable Mention: Sarah Rees Brennan – I liked The Demon’s Lexicon, but Brennan’s latest, Unspoken, really got to me. One of the best books of the year, and it’ll cement her as a must-buy for the future!
Who are your favorite fantasy authors?