Today’s topic is a ‘rewind,’ meaning it’s up to each person to find a Top Ten Tuesday topic they skipped or want to repeat and make it their own. This week I’m going to list my favorite reading nooks.
Top Ten Favorite Places to Read
1. My parents’ living room – On a cold winter’s day, there’s no better spot to read than my parents’ living room, sitting toasty warm in front of the fire with a cup of hot chocolate at my elbow.
2. My own living room – We have an enormous old plaid couch in my current apartment, and I love to sprawl on it with whichever book is currently striking my fancy.
3. Bed – I also like reading in bed, but I have to be careful with this, because I don’t fall asleep reading. If I read in bed, I stay awake in my bed. And that’s not really what beds are for. Right? Right.
4. On the train – One terrible thing about growing up/old is that I can’t read in moving vehicles anymore. Something about the motion makes concentrating on type ridiculously hard. UNLESS that moving vehicle is a train. Reading on the train is my new favorite way to get from one place to the next.
5. Library – A library is a building full of books. Pulling a volume off the shelf and paging through it to see if it’s worth the checkout is like breathing – it just happens. I mean that in the best way.
6. Bookstore – Book shops are like libraries, but once you test drive that book, it can be yours forever! All the more reason to make sure you REALLY want it by reading… and reading… and reading.
7. Mostly empty coffee shop – Coffee and books are two of my largest ‘leisure’ expenses. This is a true thing and has been since I was a teenager. I’m not sure what that tells you about my life choices…but combining coffee and reading is a recipe for a good time, as long as that coffee shop is mostly empty/quiet.
8. Beach – I was never much of a beach kid (chalk that one up to growing up in the Pacific Northwest, where beaches are cold and/or rocky), but I’ve come to enjoy the beach as an adult, as long as I have a great book or three in my bag. And some strong sunscreen.
9. Tent (while camping) – Yes, I am the camper who refuses to leave her tent when caught up in a good book. I like nature… as a great backdrop to reading. Bonus: staying in the tent = less bug bites.
10. Sunny park bench – What are crisp fall days for? I say sunny park bench reading. You heard it here first.
What are your favorite places to read?