clementine spice muffins

Sunday, November 11, 2012 |
I am in the middle of a beach trip with my girlfriends.  It is glorious.  We’re in this gorgeous house with a to-die-for kitchen… but when you’re vacationing you don’t really use a kitchen, right?   Wrong.  This house happens to have a lot of staples, and given what we brought with us, I searched the internet and found a recipe for which we only had to buy two spices.  I feel extra impressive right now. *grin*


Clementine Spice Muffins (adapted from this recipe)

INGREDIENTS

Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
6-8 clementine oranges, peeled and separated into segments


Topping

1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all muffin ingredients except clementine segments.  Once mixture is blended well, fold in clementines.  


Spoon carefully into foil muffin liners or greased muffin tin. Fill each muffin liner about 3/4 full. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and set.

Remove from pan while still hot.  To top, dip crown of each muffin in melted butter, then dip into cinnamon sugar mixture. Yields 13-16 muffins.


The original recipe called for canned mandarin oranges, and I think that recipe may result in muffins with a more uniform appearance.  That said, these are delicious right out of the oven, and because the clementine segments hold together, each bite is a surprise of texture and flavor.  If I make the recipe again, I’ll use more cinnamon and a tad more sugar, but as is it was declared an unqualified success.


Recommended for: a fruity breakfast morsel, delectable nibbles for afternoon tea, and a treat to share with friends for any time.

Interested in other food-related posts?  Check out Beth Fish Reads' Weekend Cooking!

14 comments:

Joy Weese Moll said...

That sounds yummy. I was impressed with the last vacation house we stayed in -- so helpful to have cooking oil, salt, pepper, and a few other things to make it possible to cook some basics.

Peggy Ann said...

These sound so exotic! I love clementines too!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

Clementine muffins sound wonderful- thanks for sharing.

Heather S-G said...

Guess who has a a big bowl of clementines sitting in her kitchen and wants to make a big batch of these babies? (yup, me) And uh, beach trip. Sigh. Jealous. ;P

Heather said...

I have a recipe that uses the canned mandarins, very much like this. It makes the most unique light muffins. Love your picture with the mandarin included.

Laurie C (Bay State RA) said...

Fresh muffins and a vacation week. Sounds perfect!

Beth F said...

These sound so good. I love citrus and spice

Beth F said...

These sound so good. I love citrus and spice

Esme said...

ohhh i can smell the sweet scent of citrus-I actually made the cinnamon rolls today-I did not sued as much sugar or butter that they suggested and I quite liked them-I will post the recipe later this week-I made an apple sauce with mine-they were tasty.

Tales of Whimsy said...

YUM YUM YUM
And I love the pictures.
The first is the best.
Clever.

Liviania said...

Looks good! I may try these when the kids are over next week.

Ryan said...

Every time I read one of these posts, it makes me sad that I'm not a baker. Love to cook, but never been good at baking. I guess I'll just have to keep coming back to these posts and dream of the possibilities.

Ginny Larsen said...

duh, these look amazing. i saw it all unfold on instagram, but unfortunately, i'm only just now getting around to commenting on your genius.

Peaceful Reader said...

Oh yum, yum. This makes me regret not purchasing another crate of Clementines when I grocery shopped today. Your beach vacation sounds lovely. We always use the kitchen if it's there!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home