top ten favorite new-to-me authors i read in 2012

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 |
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we all get to exercise our OCD tendencies and come up with bookish lists.  If you’d like to play along, check out this post.


One of the serious benefits of book blogging is that it prompts me to venture outside of my reading comfort zone.  I could be very happy simply rereading my current book collection again and again.  Instead, I read about my fellow bloggers’ new favorites.  Blogging introduces me to the latest releases, new favorite genres, and allows me to connect with fresh genius.  Listed below are the best of the crop of the authors I read for the first time in 2012.

Top Ten Favorite New-To-Me Authors I Read in 2012

1. Sarah Prineas (Winterling) – Prineas’ winter fairy tale reminded me of the fantasy adventures that prompted my first interest in genre.

2. Margo Lanagan (The Brides of Rollrock Island) – I expected too much going into the reading experience, so my first Lanagan book didn’t shine as much as promised.  I was impressed by the writing, though, and I’ll be back for more.

3. Cath Crowley (Graffiti Moon) – Crowley is a master at writing relationships, and delineating hopes, dreams and the awkward/sweet/angry that is teenage life.

4. Ellen Potter (The Humming Room) – Potter’s retelling of The Secret Garden was, simply put, enchanting.

5. Maryrose Wood (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling) – Oh, how I love funny, clever middle grade!

6. Claire Legrand (The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls) – Again on-trend with my middle grade obsession, this one sent chills down my spine and delighted the child inside.

7. Leah Bobet (Above) – Bobet wrote a complicated, twisty story that combined fantasy and mental illness, and the fact that the concept actually worked in practice was a feat!

8. Geoff Herbach (Stupid Fast) – Felton is, hands down, my favorite character of the year.  Herbach is genius.

9. Erin Bow (Plain Kate) – The sorrow and beauty and loneliness of Bow’s first novel snared my heart and  then squeezed it dry.  I shall read everything she writes.

10. Frank Cottrell Boyce (Cosmic) – A witty, self-aware and nerdy take on sci-fi will get me every time.

Who were your favorite new-to-you authors this year?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Cath Crowley is on my list too. She's amazing and makes me want to read more Australian authors.
my ttt

Tanya Patrice said...

Interesting list with some new-to-me authors :-) But I've read Cath Crowley and loved Grafitti Moon - she actually made me like a contemporary YA book!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I like Maryrose Wood!

I need to try Margo Lanagan.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Oh man, I haven't read any of these! So many new authors to discover!

Nicole said...

I really need to get a copy of ABOVE; it looks amazing.

Liviania said...

Felton is a great character! I hope we get another book about him next year.

carol said...

I don't think I've read any on your list. Next year I'm thinking I need to read more than just mysteries.

Anonymous said...

I really want to read Winterling, I've seen some great reviews. I have Plain Kate on my shelf, I definitely need to get to it in 2013!

Mary @ My Sisters Bookshelf said...

I don't know that I've read ANY of these! Fun! Exploration! That means good list!

JoAnn said...

Aren't bookish lists the best? Your authors are all new to me... even more to explore. Thanks!

elena said...

SO MUCH LOVE FOR CLAIRE LEGRAND! I'm intrigued by Sarah Prineas, her cover caught my eye and I need to read Winterling! I loveee middle grade. :D

Melissa said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog =) This is my first time visiting your blog and I'm loving it so far! I haven't actually read ANY of the authors on your top ten list but, based on your descriptions, I shall be checking them all out! *sigh* and the TBR list gets that much longer ;P

Esme said...

I have not heard of one of these authors-it always amazes me how many are out there.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home