waiting on wednesday (41)

I’m participating today in "Waiting On" Wednesday. It is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, and its purpose is to spotlight eagerly anticipated upcoming releases.

If you’ve ever taken a look at my ‘Recipes’ tab, you’ll know that I have a bit of a food obsession.  I like making it, eating it, and especially feeding it to my friends.  I follow food blogs, subscribe to food magazines, and regularly participate in Beth Fish Reads’ Weekend Cooking feature.   A book that focuses on food is one of the best things ever, for it combines my loves of food and reading.  Cartoonist Lucy Knisley’s graphic novel memoir, Relish: My Life in the Kitchen will be right up my alley.  Relish will be released on April 2, 2013 by First Second (Macmillan).

relish: my life in the kitchen by lucy knisley book cover
A vibrant, food-themed memoir from beloved indie cartoonist Lucy Knisley. 

Lucy Knisley loves food. The daughter of a chef and a gourmet, this talented young cartoonist comes by her obsession honestly. In her forthright, thoughtful, and funny memoir, Lucy traces key episodes in her life thus far, framed by what she was eating at the time and lessons learned about food, cooking, and life. Each chapter is bookended with an illustrated recipe—many of them treasured family dishes, and a few of them Lucy's original inventions.

A welcome read for anyone who ever felt more passion for a sandwich than is strictly speaking proper, Relish is a book for our time: it invites the reader to celebrate food as a connection to our bodies and a connection to the earth, rather than an enemy, a compulsion, or a consumer product.

What books are you waiting on?

6 comments:

Monica said...

That looks like a cute read. Feel free to come by and check out My WoW

Liviania said...

Sounds awesome!

(Are you like me and super excited about the recently released Smitten Kitchen cookbook? I want that one so bad since I've used the site so much.)

Cecelia said...

Liviania: YES! I almost went to a signing of her cookbook here in DC. I am hoping I get it for Christmas... yummm.

Unknown said...

Ohhh my. That sounds like it has some crazy good recipes! I LOVE to cook/bake myself. I'll be checking out your recipes now! [New follower]
-Beth


Visit YA Vixen's WoW here!

Alyce said...

That's not one that draws me, but I can see why you would want to read it (and I do love reading your cooking posts, especially when you bake desserts). :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds like a blast.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home