waiting on wednesday (42)

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 |
Today I’m participating in "Waiting On" Wednesday, a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. Its purpose is to spotlight upcoming book releases that we’re eagerly anticipating.

Every time I check one of the ‘Upcoming Trends in 2013’ articles, I am excited to see YA sci-fi experiencing a surge of popularity.  While dystopian has been hot for a few years now, sci-fi set in space is a great little sub-genre, and I think it deserves the attention (and an update!).  When I saw the cover and synopsis for one of the hot releases of 2013, I knew I had another addition to the to-be-read pile.  Phoebe North’s Starglass will be released on July 23, 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

starglass by phoebe north book cover
In this futuristic, outer space thriller, Terra has to decide between supporting the rebellion she believes in—and saving the life of the boy she loves. 

For generations, those aboard the Asherah have lived within strict rules meant to help them survive the journey from a doomed Earth to their promised land, the planet Zehava–which may or may not be habitable, a question whose imperative grows now, in the dwindling months before touchdown. 

Sixteen-year-old Terra’s situation is tough. A dead mom. A grieving dad. A bitchy boss, and a betrothed who won’t kiss her no matter how bad she wants it. She’s doing her best to stay afloat, even when she gets assigned a vocation she has no interest in: botany.
 But after Terra witnesses the Captain’s guard murder an innocent man, she’s drawn into a secret rebellion bent on restoring power to the people. The stakes are higher than anything she could have imagined. When the rebellion gives Terra an all-important mission, she has to decide where her loyalties lie for once and for all. Because she has started to fall for the boy she’s been sent to assassinate…

What books are you waiting on?

7 comments:

Little Miss Becky said...

This sounds like a great story. I've really enjoyed the other books I've read set in space (Across the Universe and Spark) so I think I'll have to try this one when it comes out! Great pick!

Kate @ The Bookaholic Blurbs said...

Awesome choice! I picked this few months back! Yay!

New follower via GFC! Please follow back :D
My WoW

Anonymous said...

Looks interesting.

P.S. New follower.

--Nevey...

Tales of Whimsy said...

O I love the cover.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for this one, release day can't get here soon enough! I'm happy to see that sci-fi and high fantasy are starting to pop up more often in YA, it's awesome. Great pick =)

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

This sounds great! I love books set in space.

Books of Amber

Liviania said...

I'm excited about this one too, partially because Phoebe's blog is terrific. She obviously knows her sci-fi.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home