waiting on wednesday (45)

Today I’m participating in "Waiting On" Wednesday, a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. Its purpose is to spotlight upcoming book releases that we’re eagerly anticipating.

I came to young adult literature late (as an adult, in fact), and so I didn’t discover Weetzie Bat.  Still haven’t.  The truth is that although I’ve heard marvelous things about Francesca Lia Block’s writing, I’ve never read one of her books.  However, her upcoming release Love in the Time of Global Warming is going to change that, because I’m all about science fiction and post-apocalyptic retellings of classics.  Add in a title that gives a nod to magical realism, and I can't see a downside. Love in the Time of Global Warming will be released by Henry Holt and Co. (Macmillan) on August 27, 2013.

love in the time of global warming by francesca lia block book cover
A stunning reimagining of Homer's Odyssey set in post-apocalyptic Los Angeles, written by a master storyteller. 

Seventeen-year-old Penelope (Pen) has lost everything—her home, her parents, and her ten-year-old brother. Like a female Odysseus in search of home, she navigates a dark world full of strange creatures, gathers companions and loses them, finds love and loses it, and faces her mortal enemy. 

In her signature style, Francesca Lia Block has created a world that is beautiful in its destruction and as frightening as it is lovely. At the helm is Pen, a strong heroine who holds hope and love in her hands and refuses to be defeated.

What books are you waiting on?

7 comments:

Liviania said...

You have to be cautious with Block though, because some of her books are absolutely awesome and others . . . less so.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ooooooooooooooooooooo coool. I've always wanted Penelope to have a voice. I've always thought of her and wondered what that must have been like for her.

Alyce said...

The only retelling of the Odyssey I've ever liked was the O Brother Where Art Thou movie, so I'll be curious to see what you think of this one if you read it.

Lizzy said...

Well, I'm a huge fan of Greek Mythology, so I may have to check this out. I have read other works by Block, and I agree with Liviania. Sometimes I enjoy them, other times I don't connect with them. Still, I have high hopes for this one. Great pick!

Charlotte said...

On to my own list this goes!

ellepaulette said...

I have not come across this book before. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention. Happy Reading! Here is my WoW for this week!

Catherine@thebookparade said...

Haven't heard of this before...but I do quite like Greek mythology and the like...so I think I might like this!

Catherine :D
The Book Parade

Newer Posts Older Posts Home