dark chocolate puppy chow

I’m spending this weekend at my brother’s place in western Pennsylvania, or as I call it, Narnia (always winter and never Christmas).  The forecast high temperature on Sunday is 24 degrees F (that's -4 degrees C for you non-USians).  I can safely say that we’ll be enjoying indoor activities.  This is also Super Bowl weekend, and people everywhere will be getting together to eat ‘game day’ food and watch the biggest football game of the year.  Puppy chow (also known as muddy buddies or monkey munch) is one of my favorite special occasion snacks, and bonus factor: it’s easy to make!


Dark Chocolate Puppy Chow (based on this Food, Fitness & Family recipe)

INGREDIENTS

9 cups Rice Chex cereal
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate (two 60% cacao Ghiradelli bars, can be found in baking aisle), chopped
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3 cups powdered sugar


TOOLS

large mixing bowl
medium microwaveable bowl
large Ziploc bag (gallon size at least!)
spoon
self control (optional)


DIRECTIONS

Empty Chex cereal into the large bowl and set aside. 

In medium bowl, combine chocolate and peanut butter, then microwave for 20 seconds.  Remove from microwave and stir briskly with a spoon.  Microwave again for 15-20 seconds, stir after.  Repeat steps as necessary until mixture is thoroughly combined.


Pour peanut butter chocolate sauce over the Chex cereal and fold repeatedly (and gently) to coat.  Once cereal pieces are completely covered, transfer mix into the large Ziploc bag.  Dump powdered sugar in on top of mix and seal the bag.  Shake carefully until cereal pieces are totally dusted with sugar.  Empty into a bowl and enjoy!

Makes 12-15 servings.  To store, seal in airtight container and keep away from heat (ha! as if you’ll have any left over to store!)


Recommended for: a crispy, melt-in-your-mouth snack for game day, an easy-to-make crowd pleaser that doesn’t require hard-to-find ingredients, and a decadent comfort food for anytime.

Interested in other food-related posts?  Check out Beth Fish Reads’ Weekend Cooking!

15 comments:

Alex said...

You are going to have perfect weather to stay in, watch the Super Bowl and eat lots of Puppy Chow, which sounds delicious - delicious enough to know I am saving this recipe.

I am making chile and all the fixin' for the big game - well, except when Downton Abbey is on.

Enjoy and thanks for the great recipe.

jama said...

Puppy Chow -- love the name and it sounds like a delicious snack. Chocolate and peanut butter; how can you go wrong? Thanks for the great idea. :)

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I've made this before many years ago,but never heard it called Puppy Chow. Enjoy game day!

Beth F said...

I can't remember what we called this -- but I remember it's yummy and oh so easy to make. I had totally forgotten about it.

And yeah, it's cold here in central PA too.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Whoa. Divine!

Kerry Ann @Vinobaby's Voice said...

That looks amazing! I don't think I could make it though—I'd eat every last bit. Must. Avoid. Temptation.

Enjoy!

Heather said...

we called this puppy chow. my kids and nieces and nephews loved it. We'd make it in a giant tupperware bowl and we could easily shake it. most excellent snack.

Esme said...

enjoy your wintery day. I think that you could eat bread safely-I had plantains and paid the price for it.

Rikki said...

Oh, this look susper delicious and not too hard to make.

Dazzling Mage said...

I have to say, I love your recipe posts! And this looks so yummy!

JoAnn said...

I love puppy chow, but have never heard it referred to as muddy buddies or monkey munch :-)

Peaceful Reader said...

The puppy chow looks much better than what you see in the grocery store plastic containers. I've never made this but your recipe may just change this as I love the idea of a darker chocolate with peanut butter. Yum. I hope your chilly weekend was wonderful.

Carole said...

I have finally figured out that puppy chow is not dog food! I was always wondering why people were cooking up so much dog food! Silly old Antipodean me! Have a great week.

Fay said...

Choc + Peanut Butter + Crunch = Delish. Must abstain right now, but it looks wonderful.

Liviania said...

Puppy Chow is one of those classic snacks I've never had.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home