I don’t do horror, either in book or film form. But. I have a weird thing about zombies – I’ll try them out. And if there’s a little bit of humor involved (like in Zombies vs. Unicorns or Zombieland, for example), I’ll make an exception. Still, I was surprised to see so many books I recognized on the ‘horror’ shelves over at Goodreads. I guess I’ve been exposed to a lot of creepy books, even if I choose not to read them. Yikes.
Top Ten Scariest Book Covers
1. The Black Spider by Jeremias Gotthelf, translated by Susan Bernofsky – I saw this cover in a publisher’s promotional email last week and was horrified to imagine that it will exist in hard copy form. Stuff of nightmares.
2. Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #1: Professor Gargoyle by Charles Gilman – Okay, so it’s not run-away-screaming scary, but it’s pretty freaky. Not a book I’d ever leave around, lest I scare myself when walking by.
3. Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry – Arresting and alarming. Also a really great book, but that cover! Eeek.
4. The House of Dead Maids by Clare B. Dunkle – If you ever want to freak yourself out completely, do a Google image search for ‘black eyed children.’
5. Scowler by Daniel Kraus – I feel like I don’t even need to read the book, because I know already that it’d be too scary for me.
6. Execution (Escape from Furnace #5) by Alexander Gordon Smith – My brother loves this series, and while I was happy to give him books 1-3 for Christmas a couple of years ago, this cover gives me pause. Extremely sinister things seem to be going on.
7. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith – There’s something spooky about certain small children anyway, and then when you mesh that with zombification…
8. Zom-B by Darren Shan – UGH get it away from me right now!
9. Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #4: Substitute Creature by Charles Gilman – Another entry in the Lovecraft Middle School series (is it cheating to put in two?). That face is the kind of thing that gives me chills.
10. The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey – Tell me I am not the only person who thinks that a bit of organic matter in a pickling jar isn’t freaky beyond belief?! Or maybe I just have an overactive imagination. Okay, turning away now.
Which one of these book covers is the scariest?