top ten things i'm thankful for

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 |
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we all get to exercise our OCD tendencies and come up with bookish lists.  If you’d like to play along, check out this post.

top ten things i'm thankful for

This week’s assigned topic is a familiar one on social media – things we’re thankful for, right around Thanksgiving time.  Most of the items on my list are book- or blog-related, but from there it goes on to general living (well, reading IS a part of my real world…).  I know how blessed I am, but this is a great opportunity to put it into words and realize the wonderful reality all over again.

Top Ten Things I’m Thankful For

1. Generosity of friends and blogging buddies – My sister Virginia (Ginny) teaches 9th grade English in Washington State.  When her classroom library was decimated by flooding, I wrote a post about it.  Several people responded with recommendations, and a few sent their own books to fill the gap.  It made all the difference!  Ginny’s students again have a great selection of YA fiction to choose from for self-directed reading.

2. Resources so that I could contribute to Ginny’s classroom library, too – I’m so thankful that I was able to buy a selection of the suggested titles for Ginny’s collection!  Thankful for a steady job and the chance to help out.  Thankful for used books for sale online, too! It is great to know that I could help, even from afar.

3. CYBILS award reading list – I needed a reading challenge that would get me excited about great books and give me deadlines to meet.  Participating in a CYBILS first round panel is introducing me to new and wonderful books!

4. CYBILS co-panelists – My lovely co-panelists in Elementary/Middle Grade Speculative Fiction share great insights about the books they’re reading, In addition, their dedication and drive inspire me to read more, faster, and better.

5. Well-stocked local library – Speaking of the CYBILS, there’s no way I could make all of the reading work if I didn’t have access to a wonderful library system.  Arlington County Library, I’m looking at you!

6. Weekend Cooking memeBeth Fish Reads hosts a weekly feature on Saturdays and Sundays that celebrates recipes, cookbooks, and anything vaguely food-related.  Semi-regular participation helps me keep things fresh, and ensures that my mother sometimes visits my blog (she’s not a reader!).

7. Holidays that revolve around food – Thanksgiving is the first thought, of course, but in my family Christmas runs a close second.  I love holidays that involve the family cooking and coming together around a table.  You can talk, bond and nourish the body at the same time – perfection!

8. Friends (who step in to help when you sprain your ankle) – I had a mishap this weekend and sprained my ankle.  My friends are setting the ibuprofen by my water glass, buying groceries, taking me to the library, and generally being helpful, wonderful people.  I’m lucky!

9. Family – I can’t stress enough how much the support and love of my family means to me.  They talk me through difficult times, provide a place to just be, and inspire me with their energy and ability.  Are we even related?!

10. The freaking internet – I love it.  Where else can I access cat content, sarcastic twitter feeds, parody music videos, and online shop for all of my holiday gifts?  Oh, and blog and connect with wonderful, nerdy people like you.  That’s right.  I’m thankful for you.

What are you thankful for this holiday season?

7 comments:

Tanya Patrice said...

Aeriously awesome list!!! Ditto to everything you said - including having an awesome local library, which I have as well.

Liviania said...

I'm loving living in a city with a great library system now. It makes the CYBILs so much easier!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I love your list. I'm crazy about the net too.

kayerj said...

It's good to be grateful. Have a happy Thanksgiving. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I need to participate in the Weekend Cooking meme more. I love that idea and want to post on cooking a bit more anyway. Happy Thanksgiving!

Laura said...

Oh, heavens, I love your friends! They truly seem like amazing people! And I love that you featured Holidays. I looove family get-togethers during the holidays...the only problem is: the rest of my family hates the stress they come with. I don't mind, though. I love food, christmas music, loads of people that I love in one place...

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! I'm pretty thankful for you, too :)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home