Now and again I'll participate in a book blogging survey that aims to pinpoint changes in reading habits and blogger behavior. One change I've noticed in my own reading is that I choose to read newer books now than I did before I began blogging. It makes sense - they're the ones being hyped all over the place, getting a marketing push from publishers, and showing up on my doorstep in ARC form. All that said, I miss the backlist reading. Where did the wonder of an old discovery on a used bookstore shelf go? What about recommendations? I hardly heed them anymore in my haste to read the newest thing out there. It's past time I picked up those books I've had on the shelf forever.I'm excited to be taking part in Long Awaited Reads month in January, hosted by Ana at things mean a lot and Iris at Iris on Books. I've picked out ten books that have been on my shelf for a while, that I keep meaning to get to... but never do. These backlist titles comprise my winter TBR pile. It's going to be a wonderful January!
2. Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper – A sci-fi fairy tale retelling (MY KIND OF BOOK!) and a fellow blogger recommended it. Well, yes.
4. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern – It's practically a miracle that I haven't been spoiled for this book already - it got lots of attention a couple of years ago! All I know is that there's a circus, a character named Celia, and that my brother got me a hardcover for Christmas. I really do want to read it, and 2014 is going to be the year I do!
5. Sorcery & Cecelia: or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer – Speaking of book characters with my first name... I've tried picking this book up more than once, and was never quite in the right mood. I think a quiet January Saturday would be perfect. Hopefully one cold enough to need a cup of hot chocolate.
6. Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley – Is this the only McKinley novel I haven't read? Why yes, it is. I have it in hardcover and everything. Silly me.
7. A Tale of Time City by Diana Wynne Jones – It's not cheating to put down two DWJ books. It's NOT! I'm just behind. And this is on my shelf, all ready for a read.
8. Eon by Allison Goodman – Erm, another fellow blogger recommendation that I dragged my feet on. I'm such a slowpoke!
10. Across the Universe by Beth Revis – I go on and on about young adult sci-fi, and I still haven't read this one, even though I've owned it since its release date. Okay, good. January 2014 is going to be a great month!
What books are on your reading list this winter?