top ten things on my reading wishlist

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 |
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we all get to exercise our OCD tendencies and come up with bookish lists.  If you’d like to play along, check out this post.

top ten tuesday

I didn’t think I’d be able to come up with a list of ten things for a ‘reading wishlist.’ I didn't know I had this many preferences tucked away in my brain! But as I sat typing up this post, staring at my new bookshelves and all of my favorites arranged by author and shelf, things started bubbling up.  Lots of science fiction, apparently (and YA sci-fi at that!).  Fantasy, of course.  Retellings and standalones welcome.  If you have any suggestions of already-published books that fit my specifications, by all means mention them in the comments!  I wouldn't want to 'go without' out of ignorance...

Top Ten Things on My Reading Wishlist

1. Regency- and Edwardian-era historical fantasy romance – Patricia C. Wrede’s Mairelon duology and Mary Robinette Kowal’s Shades of Milk and Honey are perfect examples of what I’d love more of.  I’d swoon over it, I swear!

2. Funny, whimsical fantasy for kids, bonus points for parallel universes and worlds – Diana Wynne Jones wrote really hilarious (and not just slapstick or sarcastic) characters who had a habit of being in the wrong/right place at the wrong/right time.  I want the next DWJ, please.

3. Sci-fi retellings of Rilla of InglesideLittle Women and A Girl of the Limberlost – Okay, so this is a ridiculously specific request, but hear me out.  I’ve been lucky enough to read sci-fi versions of The Scarlet PimpernelPersuasion and Jane Eyre.  Why shouldn’t the rest of my favorite classics be retold in amazing sci-fi fashion as well?  I mean, WHY NOT?  I’d read the heck out of those books.

4. Young adult science fiction that really gets into the psyche of the characters – Ender’s Game succeeds in part because almost every reader can find bits of themselves in Ender or Valentine.  I want to see more complex, mind game-y sci-fi for the YA crowd.

5. Fantasy that incorporates Roman mythology – I’ve seen a lot of Greek mythology-influenced fantasy, and recently a nice upsurge of Norse mythology as well (Tessa Gratton’s The Lost Sun, anyone?).  Bring on the Romans next (but no gladiators, kthxbye)!

6. City-centric middle grade fantasy, but not set in New York or London – I don’t know if this request will make sense to anyone but me. ChangelingSo You Want to Be a Wizard, and other fantasies for the younger crowd feature adventures through a particular city, complete with landmarks and famous museums, almost to the point that the urban environment becomes a character on its own.  I want more of that, but I’d like a break from New York and London.  Please!

7. Standalone YA fantasy and sci-fi WITHOUT romantic plotlines – The fact that I can’t think of a book that meets this criteria off the top of my head is… unacceptable.

8. More standalone YA fantasy and sci-fi, period – So over series right now.

9. More Harry Potter? – I know it's basically a pipe dream, but it's MY pipe dream.

10. Surprises – This sounds silly, but I want more twists, more unexpected deaths (did I even just type that?!) and more... original plotlines.  Kill your darlings, authors!

Would any of these ‘wishes’ make your list?  If not, what would?

13 comments:

Esme said...

What a great present from your friends. You are going to love your kitchen aid. What colour is it?

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I agree that we need more good adventure or Sci-Fi books that avoid romance. I mentioned that on my list, too.

Kate @ whYAnot said...

Oh my. A sci-fi Little Women retelling? That would be amazing! Also I'm all for more Harry Potter universe books. Great list!

Liviania said...

I definitely agree on standalones without romance and city-centric, but not New York or London. (I'd add not Paris too - it isn't as overdone in sff, but still.)

Unknown said...

Yeessss number 9!!! I don't think I'll ever stop hoping that JK Rowling will write a new Harry Potter book. Fingers crossed she does.

Our TTT

Tales of Whimsy said...

Awesome list and your pipe dream made me smile.

Ana S. said...

RE: #2, have you tried Frances Hardinge?

Ana S. said...

PS: She fulfils criteria #7 and #8 too :P

Kaye M. said...

Whoa! We overlapped on the DWJ. :) All awesome stuff on your list, Cecelia - and the sci-fi Little Women? Yes, please!

http://watercolormoods.blogspot.com/2014/01/top-ten-my-reading-wishlist-calling-all.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WatercolorMoods+%28Watercolor+Moods%29

Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm said...

Ha ha I am not the only person who wants more Harry Potter. I will literally take it in any way - a prequel, sequel, different POVs from characters... ANYTHING, just give me more Harry Potter!!! Great picks :)

My TTT :)

Anonymous said...

You're right about urban fantasy set in London and NYC--I'll have to think if I know of any MG urban fantasy in other cities . . .

I want to see more inventors and contemporary inventions, more space travel and multiculturalism in space SF.

Charlotte said...

I am now totally imagining the sci fi Girl of the Limberlost! Alien moths! It would be cool...

kayerj said...

Yes, most of those would be on my list. Nicely done.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home