top ten books on my spring to-be-read list

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 |
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we all get to exercise our OCD tendencies and come up with bookish lists.  If you’d like to play along, check out this post.

top ten tuesday

Every time one of these TBR (to-be-read) pile posts comes along, I wonder about the advisability of searching for ten books to fill the list.  Does it raise expectations (in anyone beside myself) that I’ll get to the books in a timely manner?  (I won’t.)  And I worry too about accidentally leaving a book I’m dying for off the list.  These may be silly thoughts, but they’re real.  Anyway, the list below contains books on my library hold list, my Amazon wishlist, and my Goodreads to-read shelf.  In other words, a good representation of what I can’t wait to read this spring.

Top Ten Books on My Spring To-Be-Read List


1. Death Sworn by Leah Cypess – Assassin school and a mage who has lost her magic.  Why do I want to read this?  Because: obviously.

2. The Inventor’s Secret by Andrea Cremer – Steampunk young adult will always hold a special place in my heart, and this one sounds intriguing.

3. The Islands of Chaldea by Diana Wynne Jones and Ursula Jones – The last DWJ book ever!  I still need to read most of her backlist, but it is sad to realize that there are a finite number of books left to discover now that she has passed.

4. A Creature of Moonlight by Rebecca Hahn – A debut featuring dragons, politics, and a girl who belongs in neither the human or dragon worlds.  Ummm, YES.

5. The Undertaking of Lily Chen by Danica Novgorodoff – This adult graphic novel sounds dark, messed up, and kind of fantastic.  Can’t wait to read it.


6. The Last Best Kiss by Claire LaZebnik – This is a contemporary YA retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion.  Persuasion is only one of my favorite books of all time!  Plus, I enjoyed LaZebnik’s Epic Fail (a retelling of Pride & Prejudice) previously.

7. Rose and the Lost Princess by Holly Webb – Rose was one of the finalists that my judging panel picked for the CYBILS award in Elementary and Middle Grade Speculative Fiction.  It was a charming book, and I am definitely looking forward to more adventures featuring plucky Rose.

8. Talker 25 by Joshua McCune – Dragons confined to reservations, a military state, and a girl who accepts a dare.  Yep, sounds pretty fantastic.

9. The Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson – Steampunk-ish middle grade, with a mystery and a perilous journey.  I’m in.

10. Castle Behind Thorns by Merrie Haskell – Have I told you how much I loved Haskell’s The Princess Curse recently?  That was one amazing book.  I can’t wait to see how Haskell twists a new fairy tale in this one (which looks like it might riff on Sleeping Beauty?).

What books are you looking forward to this spring?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason I no longer remember, A Creature of Moonlight has been on my TBR list for years--which is kind of strange but I'm still excited about it! Death Sworn is also on my radar. And I didn't know Adrea Cremer was writing steampunk! Maybe this will finally be the book of hers I can love :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Oooo lil' Rose on that cover is so cute.

LisaILJ said...

I need to read Last Best Kiss too. I enjoyed Epic Fail, it was just perfectly cute. I hate to use cute as an adjective, but that is the best word to describe it. Others on your list look awesome too.

My TTT
LisaILJ @ I’ll Tumble for YA


Adriana C said...

I also want to read Death Sworn soon. Cool list.
Here is My Top 10 Tuesday

Unknown said...

While neither of them made my list this week, I want to read both Death Sworn (really, assassin school? Yes please) and The Inventor's Secret. They both sound so awesome. Good reading.

My TTT

Katie said...

We have some of the same books on our spring to read list. I can't wait to read The Inventor's Secret and Death Sworn!

Kristen said...

We have a couple of the same books! I loved Rose and the Lost Princess and the Undertaking of Lily Chen, so I hope you get to those soon! :)

Brandy said...

Rose, Last Big Kiss, and Castle Behind Thorns made my list too. I'm also excited for Talker 25 and A Creature of Moonlight!

Tanya Patrice said...

I've given up on making these lists - but I do love seeing what everyone else is going to read :-)

Liviania said...

Good choices! (I'm reading the second Rose right now, myself.)

Gaby G said...

Dragons!

kayerj said...

I'm not familiar with any of them, but the covers are pretty. enjoy your reading.

Caitie F said...

I am so excited to see t hat someone else enjoyed Rose! The second book is also wonderful! The Inventor's Secret was really good steampunk. TAlker 25 looks really good - I am adding it to my list. Have a great spring!

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

I love it when you put all the books you've read in a collage style image because they always seem to have the best covers. These all look so great!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home