Here is the sad truth, folks: I don’t read fast enough to keep up with current releases, much less backlist titles or classics (in any genre). This means I miss great stories and fantastic authors all the time. The good news is that I will never run out of books to read, even if I narrow down the field to just young adult fiction. My second confession? Sometimes I choose not to read famous authors ON PURPOSE. There’s a contrary corner of my soul that rails against hype and buzz, and you see the result in the list below. I’m working on it, I promise.
Top Ten Popular Young Adult Authors I’ve Never Read
1. John Green – I don’t even know how I hold my head up and say I read young adult fiction. I really don’t.
2. Cassandra Clare – Erm. I tried the first chapter of one of her books once, and it wasn’t meant to be. I’ve always meant to go back and try again and see if I like it any better.
3. Jay Asher – I know his Thirteen Reasons Why is very important, and that there’s a girl on a swing on the cover. I don’t know anything else.
4. Ann Brashares – I never read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, so I wasn’t really aware of Brashares. BUT. She has a new sci-fi/dystopian book out, and that is my thing, so maybe it’s time…
5. Veronica Roth – This is a pure case of my allergy to hype. When Insurgent came out there was a huge push on social media, and for two weeks I couldn’t look at my twitter feed without seeing something related to the series. It turned me off completely. I’m contemplating reading the book now that the film is almost here.
6. Ally Condie – I thought I wanted to read the Matched series at one point. But I have a deep aversion to love triangles at the moment, and I don’t know that I could handle it.
7. Rainbow Rowell – EVERYONE says that Rowell’s books are great. I have no excuse, except that I am very picky about contemporaries?
8. Richelle Mead – I keep saying I’m over vampires… but if I’m being honest, I didn’t give YA vampire books (aside from Twilight) a fair chance. Also, I swear that's Angelina Jolie on the cover!
9. James Dashner – Another case of hype striking, and my reading self recoiling from perceived popularity. This is getting ridiculous.
10. Ransom Riggs – The cover of the first (and second) book totally creeped me out!
Which of these authors should I read ASAP?