top ten books people have been telling me to read

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 |
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we all get to exercise our OCD tendencies and come up with bookish lists.  If you’d like to play along, check out this post.

top ten tuesday

Except for one over-achieving stint in high school where I tore through a suggested reading list of classics, I have never been very good at reading what I am supposed to read at any given moment.  If I'm not completely taken with the writing or concept or cover art or even the idea of a book, I will find anything else to do other than read it.  This applies when friends recommend books as well.  It's not them, it's me.  I certainly believe my friends think I will love the book.  It's just that I am rarely in the mood to pick up an untested text at the exact moment of recommendation.  I am also picky as heck these days about my reading, and the TBR (to be read) mountain of books isn't getting any shorter.  All this to say: I have a very long list of books that people have been telling me to read, and this post only skims the surface.

Top Ten Books People Have Been Telling Me to Read


1. Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor – It's not just bloggers who have been hyping this one to me... no, my real life friend Amy burned through the series recently and implored me to read it too (so we can discuss it when we hang out, naturally)(given how fast I read books we may never hang out again!?).

2. The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier – I visited with the lovely Kate Milford (author of The Boneshaker, and the forthcoming Greenglass House) for a bit at BEA, and she told me wonderful things about this book.  It's on hold at the library as we speak, I swear!

3. West with the Night by Beryl Markham – So, funny story.  I saw a blogger's review of this title (or maybe it was mentioned in a review of Code Name Verity?), and I thought, "My friend Leigh will love this book."  I gave it to her for Christmas, and she adored it.  She thinks I'll love it too.  I'm inclined to believe her.

4. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson – I fully expect to love this book (and series), because Sanderson does really amazing magical systems.  Also because Grant Hollis told me I would love it.  Grant, you better not be wrong.  That's a warning. *grin*

5. Divergent by Veronica Roth – Dear best friend, YES, I know.  One day soon!


6. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell – To my entire (lovable) DC Forever Young Adult book club... I bought the book.  I will eventually read it.  And you will be able to say "I told you so" as much as you like.  Okay?

7. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein – I don't have a great foundation in classic sci-fi, but Heinlein is always on the suggested reading list when I ask those who know what they're talking about.  One day when I get around to my sadly-neglected sci-fi education, this will be the first on the list.

8. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness – Something I'm good at: recommending books.  Something I'm not good at: accepting recommendations from friends. Lauren recommended this to me... oh, two years ago now? I trust her, and I know I should trust the book. *le sigh*

9. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline – Last summer I spent my Tuesday nights playing trivia with a fun group of geeks.  They suggested this book.  I have been eyeing it doubtfully, wondering whether most of the allusions would go over my head (I didn't get out much in the 80s, being a small child at that point...).

10. The Walled City by Ryan Graudin – Emma at Miss Print wants me to read this book so that we can discuss.  She even sent me a copy!  I have no excuse.

What books have people been recommending to you lately?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard great things about A Discovery of Witches. I've had it sitting around in my TBR pile for a while, I just haven't gotten around to it. I bought it for my mom, and she told me I'd love it as well.

I really love Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Great read.

My TTT

Unknown said...

Divergent and Fangirl are both really good!
My TTT

My Thoughts.... Literally! said...

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is on my list. I thought about including Mistborn but I recently started listening to the audiobook, it's good so far. I definitely recommend Fangirl and Ready Player One, both deeper than you expect. Great list!
Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

Liviania said...

When it comes to Heinlein, I recommend starting with A Tunnel in the Sky. Less famous, but better.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you haven't read the Laini Taylor books yet--they feel like Cecelia books to me.

And yes! We should both read The Walled City so we can talk about it!

Ange said...

This is a great list. It's funny how many people have the Divergent series on their lists. I almost put Smoke&Bone on my list, but there's only one person who's been telling me to read it. Happy reading.
Top 10 @Libby Blog

Rachel said...

Fangirl is just adorable!

I have heard great things about Ready Player One, cannot wait to read it (though that can be said for most other books in my TBR pile lol)

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

I agree about Daughter of Smoke & Bone! It's so good. I didn't love the 2nd one as much, but I do love where it's going for the 3rd one.

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

I agree about Daughter of Smoke & Bone! It's so good. I didn't love the 2nd one as much, but I do love where it's going for the 3rd one.

Jenny @ Reading the End said...

People have been recommending Frances Hardinge's books to me for several years now. I'm not completely sure why I'm dragging my feet on her! I believe them when they say I will love her.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home