soft rye pretzels

Sunday, October 11, 2015 |
It’s fall! I love fall.  So many good things happen during this season: Foliage changes color, back-to-school items go on clearance (I am ADDICTED to school/office supplies), it gets cool enough to break out my ridiculous scarf collection, and hockey season starts up again.  While I’m enjoying all of the above, I got a seasonal cold last week and have spent the weekend resting (and coughing) rather than going to the pumpkin patch.

soft rye pretzels

BUT! Yesterday I mustered just enough energy to try out a new recipe (for the first time in forever!), and so this lovely autumn weekend doesn’t seem like a total loss.  I’m going to be honest with you: This baking experiment happened because back when I was recipe-testing the Fika cookbook, I bought a LARGE bag of rye flour.  And I didn’t know what to do with the generous amount left over. Cue: Me (for the past 2-3 months), doing random internet searches for rye + recipe + [fill in the blank]. 

When I saw an Instagram photo of pretzels yesterday, a light went off.  I could picture rye preztels.  Lo and behold… the New York Times had a recipe!  I’m not going to copy it out here because I didn’t change anything substantial, but here’s the link.  My only advice is to follow all of the instructions, especially when they include words like “gently.”  Also, add the baking soda to the boiling water SLOWLY. 


For my first attempt at pretzels, I think it went really well.  Let me tell you how well: When these came out of the oven I immediately ate 3, and my roommates devoured a couple apiece. Short story: They’re definitely crowd pleasers, and perfect for these cooler days when heartier snacks are the key to happiness.  I’m pretty sure I’ll be making them again.

soft rye pretzels

Recommended for: fans of pretzels, and any occasion that calls for hearty finger food.

Interested in other food-related recipes? Check out Beth Fish Reads’ Weekend Cooking.

4 comments:

Beth F said...

OOOOOHHHHH!!!! excellent choice for using up that rye flour. I love, love, love soft pretzels but haven't made rye ones. Love how great yours turned out!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

Oh man, your pretzels are making my mouth water; they look amazing!

Jenny @ Reading the End said...

Those look amazing! Are you making exciting sauces to go with them? I made a goat cheese dip this weekend that I think would be perfect to dip soft pretzels into. I am now sort of sad that I don't have any soft pretzels to dip into my goat cheese dip.

Anonymous said...

These look more amazing and delicious every time I see a picture. Yay for baking success! (Hope you're back to 100% or at least 95% now!)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home