top ten authors on my auto-buy list

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 |
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we all get to exercise our OCD tendencies and come up with bookish lists.  If you’d like to play along, check out this post.

This week’s list was easy to put together – it’s as if the authors and books were tripping over themselves to get out of my head and into this post.  I’ve limited myself to living authors (it’s only fair that I have a possible book to ‘auto-buy,’ after all).  If you look closely you’ll notice that all of these authors write sci-fi/fantasy, but not all write young adult.  I certainly have my favorites, and THESE ARE IT. THEM. Whatever.  I love their books with all my heart.

top ten tuesday

Top Ten Authors on My Auto-Buy List

1. Robin McKinley – author of Pegasus, The Blue Sword, and several other lifelong favorites

2. Garth NixSabriel is another book that spoke (and still speaks!) to my soul, and Nix’s character Suzy Turquoise-Blue from the Keys to the Kingdom series is someone I’d like to meet in real life

3. Patricia McKillip – elegant high fantasies like The Bell at Sealey Head and The Forgotten Beasts of Eld keep me coming back for more

4. Neil Gaiman – this man writes lovely, dark stories that are satisfying and dangerous (favorite? Neverwhere.)

5. Patricia C. WredeDealing with Dragons was one of the first fantasies I read as a teen (my gateway book, if you will), and I’ve never looked back

6. Diana Peterfreund – my love for Peterfreund’s writing started with killer unicorns, and then she wrote For Darkness Shows the Stars, a retelling of my favorite Austen book

7. Sarah Rees Brennan – I remember laughing out loud at Brennan’s debut, and now that I’ve had my heart handed back to me in pieces by her latest, Unspoken, I shall never stop reading Brennan’s books

8. Gail Carriger – I knew I liked steampunk, but I didn’t know I loved it until I tried Carriger’s Soulless; the wit and adventure in her writing are addictive!

9. Nalini Singh – author of two of my favorite romance series... EVER

10. Meljean Brook – another steampunk reading discovery; Brook writes complex, layered romances like The Iron Duke and Riveted

Which authors are on your auto-buy list?

17 comments:

Liviania said...

I buy almost all of these authors too . . . but I'd replace Nalini Singh with Kresley Cole.

Unknown said...

I don't have auto-buys in the sense that I buy as soon as the book is released, but my go-to authors that I've been buying a lot of lately are Tom Piccirilli and Joe R. Lansdale. Oh, and Lee Thompson. From the ladies, anything with the names Ellen Datlow, Cate Gardner, and Sarah Langan are safe bets.

Anonymous said...

Definitely yes to Neil Gaiman, Patricia C. Wrede and Sarah Rees Brennan. I hope to soon add Diana Peterfreund to my list - I have two books of hers here but have yet to read them!

Shanyn said...

Have you read Diana Peterfreund's Secret Society Girl books? They are AWESOME!

Pabkins said...

I agree Sabriel was absolutely fantastic. That trilogy is still one of my favorite YAs to this day!
Pabkins @ My Shelf Confessions

Lenore Appelhans said...

I need to read more Gaiman and McKinley for sure!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness - I love Gaiman and I've read the Secret Society Girl books, but I have never read ANYTHING by the other authors you've listed! Yikes. I'm bookmarking this post for future reference.

PS: Seeing KISS ME, HARDY! jump up on my last post was one of the best moments of my day :) Kind of want to start reading it all over again...

Tales of Whimsy said...

Neil! Excellent choice.

Angela @ Reading Angels said...

I loved Unspoken! Sarah signed my copy with a spoiler for Untold and completely made my geek girl week!

Kristen said...

Some great authors, many of which I haven't read. I love Gaiman but don't think I actually own any of his books. :)

Tas said...

I read Diana Peterfreund's book For Darkness Shows the Stars and I completely fell in love with it. I would definitely buy anything else she wrote. I'll check out a few of the other authors on your list!

My TTT

kayerj said...

I am a fan of McKinley, and Gaiman too. Nice list.

elena said...

I really love Neil Gaiman's writing but I didn't put him on my auto-buy list because I have SO MUCH of him I haven't read yet. I'm reading Etiquette & Espionage right now so I'm please to hear your love for Gail.

Kristen M. said...

You know Neil is on my list! Jasper Fforde is probably at the top of my list just because I will buy his books when they come out in the UK instead of waiting the months until the US releases.

Kat C @ Books and Sensibility said...

I have both Carriger and Peterfruend on my shelf, I think I need to get to reading them !

Anonymous said...

I've only read one Robin McKinley book, and I obviously need to read more. I loved FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS too. Maybe I need to check out the unicorn books while I (im)patiently wait for ACROSS A STAR SWEPT SEA.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I was thinking about re-reading Neverwhere this year. It's been way too long.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home