This week’s list was easy to put together – it’s as if the authors and books were tripping over themselves to get out of my head and into this post. I’ve limited myself to living authors (it’s only fair that I have a possible book to ‘auto-buy,’ after all). If you look closely you’ll notice that all of these authors write sci-fi/fantasy, but not all write young adult. I certainly have my favorites, and THESE ARE IT. THEM. Whatever. I love their books with all my heart.
Top Ten Authors on My Auto-Buy List
2. Garth Nix – Sabriel is another book that spoke (and still speaks!) to my soul, and Nix’s character Suzy Turquoise-Blue from the Keys to the Kingdom series is someone I’d like to meet in real life
3. Patricia McKillip – elegant high fantasies like The Bell at Sealey Head and The Forgotten Beasts of Eld keep me coming back for more
4. Neil Gaiman – this man writes lovely, dark stories that are satisfying and dangerous (favorite? Neverwhere.)
5. Patricia C. Wrede – Dealing with Dragons was one of the first fantasies I read as a teen (my gateway book, if you will), and I’ve never looked back
6. Diana Peterfreund – my love for Peterfreund’s writing started with killer unicorns, and then she wrote For Darkness Shows the Stars, a retelling of my favorite Austen book
7. Sarah Rees Brennan – I remember laughing out loud at Brennan’s debut, and now that I’ve had my heart handed back to me in pieces by her latest, Unspoken, I shall never stop reading Brennan’s books
8. Gail Carriger – I knew I liked steampunk, but I didn’t know I loved it until I tried Carriger’s Soulless; the wit and adventure in her writing are addictive!
9. Nalini Singh – author of two of my favorite romance series... EVER
10. Meljean Brook – another steampunk reading discovery; Brook writes complex, layered romances like The Iron Duke and Riveted
Which authors are on your auto-buy list?