top ten books on my summer to-be-read list

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 |
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we all get to exercise our OCD tendencies and come up with bookish lists.  If you’d like to play along, check out this post.

top ten tuesday

A few months ago I listed the books I planned to read this spring, and (i am ashamed to admit) I’ve only read ONE of the ten.  That is a sad, sad track record.  Here’s hoping I do better this summer!  Speaking of summer reading, this list is full of books I’ve heard great things about, picked up at BEA, or have been waiting for for ages.  A couple are on my library hold list, a few on my bookshelf, and several live in my online wishlist.

Top Ten Books on My Summer To-Be-Read List

summer 2013 to be read list

1. In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters – Liviania is my reading twin, and she LOVED this book, so I know I will too.  I have it out from the library at this very moment, and I’m just waiting for a free moment to dive into it.

2. Starglass by Phoebe North – Young adult sci-fi, gorgeous cover art, and the promise of an intriguing plot.  No wonder I’ve been waiting on this one for months!

3. Queen Victoria’s Book of Spells edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling – Any anthology edited by Datlow and Windling is sure to be fabulous, but this looks extra-great because it’s all steampunk-esque/historical fantasy (which is the best sort, of course!).

4. Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein – You may recall that Code Name Verity broke my heart into tiny pieces (well, not just MY heart – everyone’s!) not long ago.  I snagged a copy of this companion novel at BEA, and I am very certain I shall cry all over it one day very soon.

5. Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson – This story sounds like a humans vs. supers showdown, with the bonus of awesome Brandon Sanderson world-building.  I’m in.

summer 2013 to be read list

6. Vicious by V.E. Schwab – Speaking of supers… what about supervillains?  Victoria Schwab has written a story about archnemeses with terrible powers and an old betrayal.  It should be pretty epic.

7. The Lost Sun by Tessa Gratton – When a book is compared to both Neil Gaiman’s AND Holly Black’s work, I don’t have to hear anything else.  I’m sold.  OMG it’s Norse-mythology inspired YA fantasy.  Someone hold me!

8. Love in the Time of Global Warming by Francesca Lia Block – This book was a ‘Waiting on Wednesday’ pick for me a while back, and the concept of The Odyssey done in post-apocalyptic Los Angeles still sounds amazing. 

9. Handbook for Dragon Slayers by Merrie Haskell – Oh, how I loved The Princess Curse!  Haskell has a way with middle grade story, fantasy and history, and I can’t wait to read her latest release.  Plus: DRAGONS!  *grin*

10. The Whole Fromage by Kathe Lison – And to round out the list, a book on French cheese!  What could be better?!  I do love food writing, and the bonus of learning about one of my favorite snacks (or let’s face it, food groups!) is enough to have me looking forward to this nonfiction title.

What books are on your summer reading list?

13 comments:

Maureen E said...

Ooh, I love your list! Rose is so amazing--I read it through NetGalley and cried and cried. It's different from CNV, but just as good. And Elizabeth Wein actually has a story in Queen Victoria's Book of Spells! I'm also super excited for The Lost Sun, because I love Tessa Gratton like whoa.

Miss Print said...

I need to add a lot of these to my list--there are just too many good choices from BEA and elsewhere! I just finished The Lost Sun and it was fantastic. I think you'll really like it too.

kimberlybuggie said...

Great list. I really want to read Love In The Time of Global Warming as well. I hoe you read all of them this summer!
My TTT

Liviania said...

If I made a list, it would be very similar to yours. I don't have all those books, but the ones not on my list I do want to read. (Okay, I hadn't heard about the cheese one, but I love cheese.) (And I've read ItSoB, so it isn't on my list, but I could reread it, I suppose.)

kayerj said...

Ooh. Great titles. Enjoy your summer reading.

Anonymous said...

Vicious is on my list, too, and though Steelheart didn't make top ten, it's definitely a must read. Looks like you have some good reading a head of you!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I tried to stick to books that were mostly "light-hearted" but I do want to read some of these! In the Shadow of Blackbirds sounds awesome, and I really should check out more historical fiction. I also want to read Gilt (historical-fiction wise). I'm FINALLY reading Code Name Verity and I know I'm going to wish I had the companion. haha

-Lauren

Anonymous said...

Wow, some great looking books on your list! I hope that you enjoy them :-)

Natalie @Natflix&Books said...

Sooo many good books. I'm looking forward to Vicious, Starglass, and Steelheart, too. Great list!
Natflix&Books' TTT

Daisy said...

STEELHEART!! AND VICIOUS!! I'm so excited about these two as well!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I can't wait for your Whole Fromage review. I keep seeing it around but don't know anything about it yet.

Tina said...

The Whole Frommage by Lison just made my list, thanks for bringing that one to my attention. I am hoping to finish the Game of Thrones series ( actually Fire and Ice) and I am up to book 4,
You have some good books on your list.

sprite said...

Ooh! A book on cheese! Now I want to read it and eat a snack!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home